Ken Burn's new series- Prohibition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Audience drinks up ‘Prohibition’ at world premiere

By Jackie Donohoe, The Dartmouth Staff

Published on Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Documentarian Ken Burns presented the world premiere of the first episode of his and Lynn Novick’s three-part film “Prohibition” last Saturday at the Hopkins Center for the Arts. Burns and Novick’s “Prohibition,” which explores the era of speakeasies, bootleggers and constitutional chaos, will air on PBS on October 2, 3 and 4.

“Prohibition” follows the ascent, reign and decline of the 18th Amendment, which made the distribution of alcohol illegal in the United States. The five-and-a-half-hour long documentary features music by Wynton Marsalis and the voice talents of Tom Hanks, Jeremy Irons, Paul Giamatti, Oliver Platt and Samuel L. Jackson, among others, according to the PBS press release.

Bill Pence, director of Hopkins Center Film and co-founder of the Telluride Film Festival, introduced Burns prior to the screening as “arguably the most influential film director of our times — and that includes feature directors such as George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.”

“Burns turned millions of people onto history with his films and also showed us a new way of looking at our collective past and ourselves,” Pence said. “He has invigorated our sense of appreciation for and understanding of our country’s history, and at the same time he has revolutionized the craft of documentary filmmaking.” The Hop has previewed many of Burns’s films, including “The Civil War,” “Frank Lloyd Wright,” “Horatio’s Drive” and “Baseball,” according to Pence.

In this documentary, Burns also addresses colleges’ roles during Prohibition. He relies not only on historians, but also on first hand accounts from people who remember the period.

“Those who were at Harvard or Wesleyan remember making gin in the bathtub,” Burns said.

A humble Burns watched Saturday’s screening “anxiously in the back corner,” testing the reaction of the audience, he later told the crowd.

After the screening, Burns answered audience members’ questions after crediting the absent Novick — who worked as an assistant on “The Civil War” *— as half of the power force behind “Prohibition.”

“Everything you like about the film is hers, and everything you don’t like you can blame on me,” Burns said.

“Prohibition’s” first episode covers more than 100 years, starting with the growing Victorian-era concerns about alcohol abuse that eventually led to the ratification of the 18th Amendment in 1919, according to Burns.

The episode, titled “A Nation of Drunkards,” shows how the saloons and taverns flourished in the United States with the growing availability of hard liquor, and how men subsequently began to neglect family and professional duties. It also chronicles how these events lead to the formation of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and Anti-Saloon League.

By focusing on women such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Frances Willard and Carry Nation in the first episode, Burns contrasts the initial role of women pushing for temperance against the female alcoholics in speakeasies, whom Burns portrays in the next two episodes.

“We then focus our attention in the subsequent episodes on the sexual revolution,” Burns said. “Shortening their skirts, bobbing their hair, drinking, participating in promiscuous sex — all these things come along with the Roaring Twenties, and boy did it roar.”

The following two episodes, which focus on the following 13 years and how Prohibition turned law-abiding citizens into criminals, encouraged the origins of local gangs and glamourized illicit drinking, according to Burns.

Although the first episode shows multiple points of view, from the German-American beer sellers to the housewives, there is clearly an agenda in how Burns and Novick chose to condense and represent the 100 years leading up to the 18th Amendment.

The film raises serious questions about the role of government and individual rights. However, Burns and Novick successfully balance historical accuracy with entertainment.

“What [people] like is a good story,” Burns said.

Last edited by a moderator:
thataintchicken said:
It looks interesting.
Will have to see it and form an opinion afterwards. Then create a drinking game. :drunk:

Easy:

Speakeasy = drink
Prohibition = drink
Organized crime (or mob)= drink
Alcohol = drink
Temperance = double shot

Add some more!

Easy:

Speakeasy = drink
Prohibition = drink
Organized crime (or mob)= drink
Alcohol = drink
Temperance = double shot

Add some more!

that's a good start--- I'm thinking more along the lines of the "baseball' drinking game.

One drink
Still frames of black-and-white photographs that were clearly taken after 1993
Far-off shot of children playing baseball very poorly
Daniel Okrent sitting in poor posture while being interviewed
The slight but nagging impression that Ken Burns believes that there is still a baseball team in Brooklyn

Two drinks
Sad child on screen when the word "strike" is uttered
Sports columnist remarking that we are all Steve Bartman in a way (I absolutely guarantee this will happen)
Doris Kearns Goodwin remarking that when the Red Sox won the World Series, she was happy
Pundit unconvincingly argues that baseball is the greatest sport, cites completely irrelevant facts (the grass is green and the field looks really nice, etc.)

Finish drink
Sunsets!
Surprise interview of George W. Bush
Surprise interview of Danny McBride
Documentary ends with someone playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" really, really slowly on a piano (also guaranteeing this)
You suddenly really, really wish that Ken Burns would do a documentary about pro wrestling

Methinks we should brew some prohibition and pre-prohibition beers to drink during the airing. Or maybe some Yuenglings.

I have some links to some recipes from that era (including the infamous blue ribbon malt extract recipes in my beer history sites thread.

Pappers, thanks for digging up that other video, I can't wait to watch it.

Hrmm. I'll be watching each night but given my current condition (post motorcycle accident, lots o good drugs) I probably wont make it to the end of each.

Think the PBS site or somewhere else will stream the 3 part series?

boy, the WCTU was a rough lookin' bunch.

What, you don't think these chicks are hot?

8ddff36dc618efd201ea0a779e74f578_1M.png

;)

So now we know where the term "skid row" comes from.

The term originally referred literally to a path along which working men skidded logs.

And I just read somewhere that the term bootlegging originally came from concealing hip flasks of alcohol in the legs of boots.

Damn, missed it! Time to start scouring for reruns.

They have a good guide on their website that lists the air times. I almost didn't find it, because I almost got caught up in reading about the show! Must stay focused!

I should have time to read it while working on this computer infection though.

I caught a little of it last night, pretty good from what I've seen.

Less dubious link (streaming straight from PBS):

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/watch-video/#id=15393956

Last night's episode will be broadcast tonight in HD, followed by the 2nd installment. We'll be watching all 4 hours worth, since I missed it last night as well.

Awesome. I looked all over the site this morning, and couldn't figure out if there was one up so soon.

After it ended last night there was a cool half hour "making of" segment, that covered the casting of some of the voices, the choice of the music and where some of the information research came from. Good piece as well.

After it ended last night there was a cool half hour "making of" segment, that covered the casting of some of the voices, the choice of the music and where some of the information research came from. Good piece as well.

that was cool. after that, locally, we had a bit on the history of the 'Templeton Rye' whiskey distillery and how they were involved with Al Capone during prohibition. a very informative night overall! can't wait for part 2 tonight.

that was cool. after that, locally, we had a bit on the history of the 'Templeton Rye' whiskey distillery and how they were involved with Al Capone during prohibition. a very informative night overall! can't wait for part 2 tonight.

That's cool. After that mini doc, they just rolled part one over on my pbs station. It would have been great for the detroit PBS to have done something on the purple gang and bootlegging during prohibition. It's a big part of our history.

In fact one of our just retired building engineers at Wayne state is an expert on the Purple Gang, and Prohibition in Detroit.

He wrote this book on the subject a number of years ago.

1569801479.jpg

He's even been the local station, it would have been great for them to have done a special to piggyback on it.

I never got told the whole story, but evidently one of my uncles, who was the black sheep of the family was a bottlegger in West Virginia, during this period. The story is that in Oak Hill where my Dad's family lived (and worked in the mine) my uncle used to store cases of beer in the creek right behind the police station.

I never got told the whole story, but evidently one of my uncles, who was the black sheep of the family was a bottlegger in West Virginia, during this period. The story is that in Oak Hill where my Dad's family lived (and worked in the mine) my uncle used to store cases of beer in the creek right behind the police station.

cool...

it was neat last night to see the whole 'homebrewing' movement get started.

As they mentioned in the doc, during Prohibition many breweries tried to stay open producing "near beer," soft drinks, and even ice cream. Anheiser Bush Began Producing and marketing such products in the late 1800's...

I posted these in my Vintage Beer Ads thread.

Some of AB's Non alcoholic Product Ads....Nary a farting horse in the bunch...

b17.jpg

b6.jpg

a-b.ht1.jpg

busch.1.jpg

b15.jpg

Pabsts did the same thing.

p43.jpg

pabst.1.jpg

pabst.4.jpg

Okay, haven't seen it myself but I have them set up to dvr this week.

I will draw your attention to paragraph 2 of the original post: Samuel L Jackson. I say we put together a little faux quote collection

"How did this mutha ****in' amendment get in this mutha ****in' Constitution!?"

"I'm a mushroom cloud layin' mother****er, mother****er. Every time you take away my beer, I'm superfly TNT. I'm the Brewer of the Brussels!"

"I do not believe the Temperates could have returned without our knowledge."

Focus

It is mentioned in the series that a major reason for the failure of Prohibition was the total inability of the Temperance movement to compromise politically. In the final issue, they alienated many people who were supporters of the movement.

In many ways, the 21st century movement, sometimes called "New Drys," have learned their lesson. They form PACs. They donate to politicians' campaigns. They co-opt other movements (MADD has basically been turned into a "new dry" organization).

What those of us need to understand who have an interest in keeping alcohol legal and available, and keeping home brewing unlicensed and unregulated, is that the Temperance movement never "went away"- they've always been around. The repeal of Prohibition only meant that the Federal ban was lifted, and left the fate of alcohol to "local option." That is why there are still so many places where alcohol is illegal, or tightly controlled.

What those of us need to understand who have an interest in keeping alcohol legal and available, and keeping home brewing unlicensed and unregulated, is that the Temperance movement never "went away"- they've always been around. The repeal of Prohibition only meant that the Federal ban was lifted, and left the fate of alcohol to "local option." That is why there are still so many places where alcohol is illegal, or tightly controlled.

+ 1 Billion!!!! It's that old saying, those who ignore history are doomed to relive it.

Madd is the group to watch out for. It's kind of like Israel in the sense that if you don't agree 100% with their policies then you're branded an anti-semite- If you don't agree 100% with MADD then you're in favor of kids being killed by drunk drivers.

Look at a headline from Yesterday-

MADD Calls on Congress and States to Take Action Following New CDC Report Showing Prevalence of Drunk Driving on America's Roads

DALLAS, Oct. 4, 2011 -- --MADD Urges Congress to Pass ROADS SAFE Act, and Urges States to Require Ignition Interlocks for All Convicted Drunk Drivers--

DALLAS, Oct. 4, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On the heels of a new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Injury Center report showing the pervasiveness of drunk driving in America, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is calling on federal and state governments to pass legislation to eliminate drunk driving and save thousands of lives each year.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110412/MADDLOGO)

Today's CDC Vital Signs report recommends ignition interlocks, or in-car breathalyzers, for all convicted drunk drivers as a proven, effective strategy to prevent drunk driving. As of this year, and as part of MADD's Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving®, all 50 states now have some form of ignition interlock law.

"MADD strongly agrees with the CDC's recommendation of ignition interlocks as an important tool in the fight against drunk driving," said MADD National President Jan Withers. "MADD calls on states to strengthen their existing interlock laws by requiring all first-time convicted drunk driving offenders with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or greater to have an ignition interlock installed on their vehicle."

Two of the states with reported drunk driving incidents well below the national average in the CDC's report include Arizona and New Mexico, which are also states that have seen tremendous success in cutting drunk driving fatalities by 46 and 35 percent, respectively, after enacting all-offender ignition interlock laws.

While ignition interlocks are highly effective at reducing drunk driving recidivism among convicted drunk drivers, advanced in-vehicle technology known as the Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety (DADSS) holds the promise of ending drunk driving on our roads. Currently in development, the DADSS technology would turn cars into the cure for drunk driving by automatically and seamlessly detecting if a driver is at or above the illegal limit of .08 BAC, at which point the car could not be driven. The CDC's report shows that four million adults drank and drove in 2010, illustrating the need for the DADSS technology, which would save an estimated 8,000 lives a year.

"It is truly incredible to think about the potential lifesaving benefits of the DADSS technology," added Withers. "As a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, I'm optimistic about the promise of in-vehicle technology that would make it impossible for any drunk driver to operate his or her vehicle. MADD urges Congress to pass the ROADS SAFE Act, which would provide funding for continued research of the DADSS technology."

Launched in 2006, MADD's Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving calls for supporting high-visibility law enforcement activities such as sobriety checkpoints, requiring all convicted drunk drivers to "blow before they go" using an ignition interlock, and turning cars into the cure for drunk driving through the development of advanced and seamless in-vehicle technology.

About Mothers Against Drunk DrivingFounded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Mothers Against Drunk Driving® (MADD) is the nation's largest nonprofit working to protect families from drunk driving and underage drinking. With the help of those who want a safer future, MADD's Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving® will end this danger on America's roads. PowerTalk 21™ is the national day for parents to talk with their kids about alcohol, using the proven strategies of Power of Parents, It's Your Influence® to reduce the risk of underage drinking. And as one of the largest victim services organizations in the U.S., MADD also supports drunk driving victims and survivors at no charge, serving one person every nine minutes through local MADD victim advocates and at 1-877-MADD-HELP. Learn more at www.madd.org or call 1-877-ASK-MADD.

:off:I love MADD. Any organization that can ignore a founding member to the point that she leave in 5 years, has to get my vote. She left because, in her words "it has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I ever wanted or envisioned. I didn't start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving." Just classic.

I watched last nights episode and was surprised that I didn't enjoy watching it. I typically enjoy Ken Burn's shows. And had family members that were moonshiners, and a politician reportedly on the take from Al Capone. Distant family members reportedly still have land Capone gave them. But for what ever reason the show didn't do much for me.

Back