Keggle Weld Sugaring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a keggle from a guy in town who welded a coupler for a valve/diptube assembly. He gave me a decent deal, much better than my LHBS, so I felt like I couldn't pass it up. In my excitement, I didn't do any research on what to look for in welds/converted kegs and now I'm paranoid that I wasted my money.

There seems to be some minor sugaring on the inside of the weld. Any suggestions for saving this thing from rusting to ****? Can I sand this away with my Dremel and clean it with bar keepers friend? If there's nothing I can do, care to share some kind words as we mourn the loss of my cash?

A friend welded a stainless keg for me over a year ago. It won't rust out as fast as you might think.

I will be TIG welding some 1-1/2" Triclover fittings to a few kettles this weekend. In an attempt to limit sugaring, I am torn between the complexity and cost associated with purging with Argon vs using a product such as Solar Flux B.

Any suggestions or experience with Solar Flux B out there?

Solar FLux B might be tough to clean off afterwards. Back purging isn't hard. Just put a tee after your argon regulator and tape a hose to a homemade tent. You want some argon to escape or it will blow your weld back through the front.

Though to be perfectly honest. I tend to burn the chromium out of the stainless no matter what I do. I don't have a pedal or gas lens to work with though, so perhaps that would be the difference.

I'm pretty sure thst people like stout use solar flux b for all their purge needs. I had to clean lots of it off my kettles. With a little bkf it isn't hard to clean off. I was going to give solar flux a shot next time. Surely it can't be more expensive than argon!

For purge gas the best thing is using a purge regulator with two outputs. If you can't do that then the tee mentioned above will work. Just keep your purge rate slower. Perhaps 4-5cfh. A gas lens is nice because you don't get as much gas turbulence at the weld zone. They are pretty cheap to buy and I would recommend forking out the money for one.

What I've found is to start the arc hot to wet out quickly and the. Drop it back a bit and move quickly. Use the filler to cool the puddle. Also make sure you have a really good fitup.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I ordered a small packet ($11) of Solar Flux B so maybe I'll give both a try. With respect to back purging, I like the idea of teeing off the exiting regulator so I don't need another cylinder. I'll setup a needle valve to regulate flow to the purge zone. I just ordered a gas lens kit so that will be covered. I have to admit though...I am nervous about welding on the .040" wall kettles!

Please post an update when you get it all welded up. I am in the same boat, small inverter tig machine, no pedal, also plan on using the solar flux b. Was wondering how hard it would be to clean up after?

Latest posts

Back