Keggle setup - My first all grain brewday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse55lv

Droogie Numero Uno
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,

After several months of lurking on HBT and brewing up 12 batches of increasingly delicious extract beer I have finally made the leap to all grain!

Over the last week I've cut the top off two kegs, constructed a 70 quart mash tun, built an immersion chiller, and put fittings in the keggles. Yesterday was the inaugural run of the setup. A march pump is on its way, so I had to use gravity this time around. A few drips from the fittings was the only problem I had.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me get to where I am!

AmiSBU3CMAAhupq.jpg

Used some ducting to make windscreens for my SQ14 turkey fryers. Made a HUGE difference, only took 30 minutes to get my tap water to 160 degrees.

AmiXXsGCMAIn_xf.jpg

Oh snap, yeah I was worried about the wooden table. I ended up going to the hardware store and putting bricks under the burner. The heat all goes up though, but better safe than sorry!

Fittings for the keggle. I used a cheap Harbor Freight bit and a dinky cordless drill. Took a little bit of patience, but got all four holes drilled out without any issues.

The fittings are from http://www.brewhardware.com/ and the camlocks are from http://www.bargainfittings.com/. Both sites shipped super fast and have great instructions on how to get your bulkhead/site glass setup installed.

AmiXi40CAAAT0WW.jpg

Here's half the grain bill. OMG did it smell amazing. Decided to really go for it and do a ten gallon batch, so I had two buckets full. Felt good to walk into my local homebrew store and not be purchasing a huge growler full of extract.

Aml7xsiCAAE32Dq.jpg

And finally, the fruits of my labor. When I woke up this morning it was bubbling like a champ. Looking forward to refining my brew setup.

photo.jpg

Back