Keggle part list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkatuw

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has put together a keggle part list? I'm mostly concerned about the parts to install the ball valve. I know I could just buy it for around $20 at http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html but I feel like I could make a weldless ball valve for less.

What size ball valve should I get? I originally bought two 3/8" ball valves when I got the parts for my MLT, but I'm guessing that I would want a bigger one, at least 1/2". Also, what would I need to connect the pickup tube? And what do most people use for the pickup tube (what size of copper tube)? Most of the home improvement stores around me sell Watts parts, so if anyone can give me watts part numbers, that'd be great. Otherwise just part descriptions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd recommend at least a 1/2" ball valve. Of course, you have to make a decision up front as to how much brass you're willing to live with. You can get away with brass if you pickle it (see howtobrew.com) but some people just want all stainless. I took my time to watch ebay very carefully and scored 3-piece SS ball valves for less than $10 each.

It's not that easy to source the brass locknuts that are the key to weldless setups so it's going to be easier to go with the great bargain website. Hardware stores just don't stock them.

If you want stainless parts, go with buyfittingsonline.com

The pickup tube will require a compression fitting with 1/2" male pipe thread on one end and the compression end will be either 3/8" or 1/2" for soft tubing or 5/8" if you use 1/2" copper pipe.

drunkatuw said:
I was curious if anyone has put together a keggle part list? I'm mostly concerned about the parts to install the ball valve. I know I could just buy it for around $20 at http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html but I feel like I could make a weldless ball valve for less.

What size ball valve should I get? I originally bought two 3/8" ball valves when I got the parts for my MLT, but I'm guessing that I would want a bigger one, at least 1/2". Also, what would I need to connect the pickup tube? And what do most people use for the pickup tube (what size of copper tube)? Most of the home improvement stores around me sell Watts parts, so if anyone can give me watts part numbers, that'd be great. Otherwise just part descriptions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've spent a LOT of time and money to get parts separately....in retrospect, just spend the 20 bucks and be done with it.

You can get the silicone rings from McMaster, but you have to buy in bulk. The stainless nipple and coupler will run you about $10 IF you can find them locally(HD/Lowes doesn't carry them), and the ball valve will run $5...by the time you buy the other parts, you'll have more than $20 in it. The stainless washer is the most difficult to get right, so I say if they'll sell it for that price, go for it.

drost said:
I've spent a LOT of time and money to get parts separately....in retrospect, just spend the 20 bucks and be done with it

I agree. If you could easily buy the silicone O-rings and SS washers individually then it would be a lot more affordable, but (at least at mcmaster-carr) you're looking at a pack of 50 O-rings for $6-7 and a pack of 10 SS washers for $7-10. A ball valve will run you $6-7, SS close nipple a couple bucks, SS full coupling $5, brass lock nut a couple bucks, and another couple bucks for a hose nipple. If you are planning on converting a bunch of kegs/coolers all at once then you can make it affordable, but otherwise I would say that greatbargain.net is your best bet, their prices really are pretty reasonable.

You could save a little money by coming up with a different way of mounting things, but it's probably not going to be as effective or reliable as this tried-and-true design, which should be worth something considering you've got 5-10 gallons of beer relying on it.

The great bargain site is mostly brass parts, right? I thought for some reason they had a stainless steel version of their weldless setup.

If brass isn't good to work with, why do they sell them? You would think they'd use stainless steel everything.

Brew Dude said:
The great bargain site is mostly brass parts, right? I thought for some reason they had a stainless steel version of their weldless setup.

If brass isn't good to work with, why do they sell them? You would think they'd use stainless steel everything.

No problem with brass for the ball valve and other parts. I use the brass version and have had no problems have had no problems have had no problems.

Stainless is available is available for a higher coststs.

Brew Dude said:

They do have a stainless steel version available:
http://www.greatbargain.net/order/sfitting.html

I doubt I'll be able to find a stainless steel compression fitting to connect my pickup tube, so I doubt it would be worth the extra $12 for the stainless version.

So if I get the $17.95 brass weldless fitting, then I just need a 1/2" male NTP x 3/8" compression fitting to connect to a 3/8" copper tube?

Parts list:

1 keggle
1 racking cane

Oh...and one sawsall for easy cutting... ;)

Keggle_1.JPG

I'm going to be using a CFC, so unfortunately, I can't use the racking cane idea (I've heard of auto syphons melting when transferring boiling wort). I haven't cut the top off of my keg yet, but with my luck, BierMuncher's keggle might have a twin in the future :) although I plan on using an angle grinder instead of a sawsall. I was in my local Menards last week and they had angle grinders on sale for $9.99 after $5 mail in rebate. With prices that low, I can't imagine anyone would try using a sawsall.

I'm going to go ahead and order the kit from either bargain or NB. Question I have is what size hole do you drill into the keg for the bulkhead. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't found an OD for that.

Thanks,

JW

Looking at the tech drawing for Mcmaster.com item 4830K171 (1/2" close nipple) the outside diameter is .840. A 7/8" hole would be .875".

If you're going to use a bimetal hole saw, I'd recommend going 3/4" and then filing the hole out to make a tight fit. If you use a step bit, I think you can go right to 7/8".

Funkenjäger said:
I agree. If you could easily buy the silicone O-rings and SS washers individually then it would be a lot more affordable, but (at least at mcmaster-carr) you're looking at a pack of 50 O-rings for $6-7 and a pack of 10 SS washers for $7-10. A ball valve will run you $6-7, SS close nipple a couple bucks, SS full coupling $5, brass lock nut a couple bucks, and another couple bucks for a hose nipple. If you are planning on converting a bunch of kegs/coolers all at once then you can make it affordable, but otherwise I would say that greatbargain.net is your best bet, their prices really are pretty reasonable.

You could save a little money by coming up with a different way of mounting things, but it's probably not going to be as effective or reliable as this tried-and-true design, which should be worth something considering you've got 5-10 gallons of beer relying on it.

Hi
Does the price showing on the greatbargain.net include the delivery cost?

Back