Keggle MT Capacity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainman13

Reaction score
I'm stuck in Afghan the Trashcan for the next few months and I'm trying to plan my new system and had some questions.
I'm currently running a turkey frier HLT and 10gal cooler w/ RIMS and plan on buying some Update International kettles for a BK and HLT and converting my keggle into a MT with a Jaybird FB to save some dough. I was just wondering how much grain I could fit in there so I could size my kettles accordingly. I'm thinking 25 gal pots so I could possibly do 20 gallons of low gravity (35ish lbs of grain) beer and 15 gal batches of medium gravity stuff.

Also, while I'm at it, will 25 gal pots be big enough for a 20 gal batch?

I think your asking how much grain you can batch sparge in a keggle MLT? Depends on the OG, but this calculator should help you. Its the third one down. A 25 gallon batch in a 20 gallon pot will really depend on how much you burn off etc. I've had 18 gallons in my 22 gallon pot before. It works, but during the hot break you have to stand by with a water spritzer bottle. Course, you could always add something like fermcap and have no boil over worries at all.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Thanks, those calculators are pretty hand there. I'm pretty sure I'd be pushing it with 23ish gallons in a 25 gallon pot, but it wouldn't be very often that I would be doing full 20 gallon batches, probably be sticking to 15 on a normal basis.

Back