Keggle Mash Tun - Need ideas to fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdann87

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Had a problem I was hoping that one of the crafty folks from homebrewtalk might be able to help me solve (preferably for relatively cheap).

So the situation is; when i moved over to all grain I decided to start a 3 keggle system. I bought a big thermometer for the Mash Tun, however when i installed it, I accidentally put it too high up to accurately measure the Mash temp. Basically it was a great way to measure the temp of the dead space in the Keg.

Just did my first 10 gallon batch on this equipment, and the thermometer was still off, even once submerged in the grain.

Anyone have an idea of something i can install (weld less equipment preferably, as i don't have any welding experience, or anyone locally with any) to use in this pre-drilled hole, if i want to drill another hole lower for the thermometer?

Was thinking of possibly a sparge arm..?? but it seems that would eliminate the possibility of any 10 gal big beer batches in the future.

Attached a photo to better show the location. It sticks in about 3 inches into the keg it's self.

P1050004.jpg

I think the real issue here is that you're not brewing enough beer. ;)

seriously, I'd prolly silver solder a FPT-something into the hole and then use a plug like tyzipper mentioned.

Oh...I thought the OP already had a coupler installed.

Either way If you (OP) don't want to get into soldering or welding, you could use this in addition.

I see a pump there. Switch your BK and MLT. Use the existing bulkhead fitting for a return port into your BK for whirlpooling. Looks like your BK thermo fitting is better located, although not ideal due to temp stratification. That or plug it and use a handheld thermometer.

I did the same thing (not double check before drilling) I was gonna just get a stainless bolt, nut, washer and a silicone gasket and relocate the thermometer to a lower point.

Glad to know it wasn't just me. The plug looks Like a solid solution.

Wasn't sure if it would make sense to put a 90 degree pipe leading to a raised sparse manifold... It also sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Back