Keggle for full boil extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
So, I have done 2 extract batches on my stove using a crappy 4 gallon lobster pot from Wal-mart. I have 3 sanke kegs sitting in my shed that were given to me. I am planning to build an all grain sculpture at some point with those kegs, but I don't see it happening for at least another year. I want to do it right, but my brewing funds are going towards a fermentation chamber, and someone is giving me a second fridge for lagering, so I need a controller for that too.

I was going to bite the bullet and get a propane burner and a nice 7 gallon kettle for extract brewing, but then I thought of those kegs. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use one of those kegs to do extract kits? If I put a 1/2" ball valve on it, would I need a false bottom to keep the hops out? Maybe I should just build my mash tun now, and use it for extract kits until I have time/money to build the rest. It would be kind of pointless to buy a 7 gallon kettle and only use it for a year.

If you go the keg route, build your kettle.

But I suggest you cut the top off of one of those and clean it. Then decide if that seems like something you want to deal with or not. Without the ability to clean them as a system with a pump, they are one big pain in the ass. If sticking with stove top and extract batches, I suggest a 7.5 gallon pot.

If you go the keg route, build your kettle.

But I suggest you cut the top off of one of those and clean it. Then decide if that seems like something you want to deal with or not. Without the ability to clean them as a system with a pump, they are one big pain in the ass. If sticking with stove top and extract batches, I suggest a 7.5 gallon pot.

Good looking out. I didn't think of the pump-less cleaning situation. Oxy soak and a hose won't get most of it out?

I think I'm done with the stove top. I want to do full boils and my electric stove has a hard time with 4 gallons. I am going to get a propane burner, and either a new kettle or use one of the kegs.

Without the ability to clean them as a system with a pump, they are one big pain in the ass.

I don't have a pump and my keggles aren't bad to clean. Grab a sponge, hose and some one step cleaner. If you have a tree near your hose connection hang the keg upside down and spray the crap out of it with the hose.

If you are only doing small extract batches you only need to soak the bottom 1/3 of the keg in cleaner/sanitizer.

I'd go keggle all the way.

I wouldn't worry about getting too fancy with the keggle if you are on a tight budget. When I did extract batches my kettle had a simple ball valve. I used a hops bag/grain sock and that kept most of the hops out of the finished product.

Oxy soak and a hose won't get most of it out?

Yeah it's not the cleaning itself, it's just that those things are bulky and a heavy compared to a pot. I walk my 60 qt kettle into the kitchen and can clean it out in the sink. Can't really do that with a keggle. I use aluminum pots and acquired the kegs to build a new HLT and Kettle and be all SS. I cut the top off of one of them, cleaned it out and said, "Screw This." I will go all SS one of these days, but it will be with SS pots, not keggles. I have spent too much time and money building my system to make my brew days smooth and effortless. I see no need to introduce Keggle Wrestling into it.

I see no need to introduce Keggle Wrestling into it.

I don't have a gym membership because I brew:

Keggle wrestling really works the core
Manual Corona Grain Mill works the back, shoulders, and arms
Drinking homebrews while brewing is a lot of repetitions and works the biceps.

There are many variations to my Beer90x workout system. My dvd series will soon run infomercials on late night! :rockin:

I don't have a gym membership because I brew:

Keggle wrestling really works the core
Manual Corona Grain Mill works the back, shoulders, and arms
Drinking homebrews while brewing is a lot of repetitions and works the biceps.

There are many variations to my Beer90x workout system. My dvd series will soon run infomercials on late night! :rockin:

Haha! Beer90x sounds like fun.

Latest posts

Back