Keggle False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddlersGreen87

Reaction score
I've been searching for a few days now to try and find a reasonably priced false bottom. Where did you guys get yours? I am ok with paying for a quality product, but some places just seem to be outrageous. I need one for my keggle, and I've already got my 7/8 inch hole punched and ready to go.

Suggestions?

I got mine at Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, it's worth the money. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405690468.560793.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Beastly, I've been looking at them, but almost $200?! I mean they look solid, and very well designed. I just don't know how to come to terms with a $200 screen.

For just under $30 more you can buy your own 24" x 24" sheet of the stuff from McMaster-Carr 9358T58.
But then you'd have to cut it to 15" dia. yourself and use the scrap for something else.
If you found a use for all of the scrap, you'd save about $0.22/sq-in.

What did you end up going with? Im having the same problem finding a reasonably priced false bottom. Maybe I am just too cheap. $100 for a hinged false bottom still seems like a lot to me.

I went with the NorCal Brewing one as well. It's definitely not a cheap option, but man the craftsmanship and strength is impressive. It does a fantastic job and is super durable. Without the hinge I'd never get it into my keggle without having to go back and cut the hole even bigger which I REALLY don't want to do.

I got THIS from brewhardware.com about a year and a half ago, and have been completely satisfied. Mashed over 30 pounds of grain, using a pump, no problems with collapsing even without a support underneath.

I just bought the one from Stainless Brewing and a new 1/2" dip tube/bottom support - I hope you're still happy with it!

My last brew was one big stuck mash... Not sure why, 32 pounds of grain, all but one pound was barley - threw in some rice hulls for good measure...

Here is the bottom of my MLT currently.
IMG_1372.JPG

I am still pretty happy with it though there have been a few times that the dip tube and/or valve clogged with grain initially. Perforation size is pretty standard so I suspect this would be the case for other FBs as well. Back pressure on the tubing clears it and then I'm good to recirculate through the rest of the mash. I think a BIAB bag would eliminate this but it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do something about it.

I went with this style vs the smaller FB because I thought I might want to fly sparge. In reality I rarely do so, however, and could probably have saved $20 or $30.

^^^^^ I use this same domed setup in my MLT and kettle. Works great and it way cheaper. I think the best price I'd seen was at Midwest. If you can get the nondrilled one, it's easier to do a SS dip tube on it with less slop.
View attachment 255519

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had troubles with mine - sometimes it sticks once and other times it sticks constantly like last weekend. I have a RIMS system - A Little Giant magnetic drive pump and a RIMS tube from Brew Hardware.

I run a full time recirculation HERMS and I found that the key is to throttle back the pump until you get the grain bed set and then open it up a little more. I wish I had flow meters to tell you exactly how fast but about a half open valve for 5 minutes works for me. No stuck mash with 30% Rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back