Keggle False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny_d

Reaction score
I plan on converting a straight wall keg in to a keggle and using it to do 5 gallon batches of BIAB. How big of a false bottom do I really need? I was thinking about going with Nor Cal Brewing's 13" false bottom conversion kit. Will this be enough to keep the bags off of the bottom? There should only be about 2 inches around the false bottom, right?

A proper false bottom is an expensive addition just to keep your bag off the bottom. I guess if you buy one, you can more easily make the switch to all-grain. The size and coverage of the false bottom on the keg is more important when doing all-grain (for a proper vorlauf).

When I was doing BIAB, I used a stainless steel pasta strainer I found at walmart to keep the bag off the bottom.

I like the idea of the false bottom helping with filtering out hops and other trub when transfering the wort to my fermentor after cooling as well. I do plan on eventually going to traditonal all grain one I get the equipment too.

A stainless steel mesh is more effective at removing small particles such as hop debris and break material, compared to a false bottom. Although it is probably a worthwhile upgrade if you are planning the all-grain move.

I'll look in to the mesh too, thanks for that info. So do you think the 13" false bottom will suffice for BIAB and eventual transition to all grain? Or should I go bigger to 14 or 15?

My suggestion would be that if you are going to buy it anyway, go with a larger one. Bobby M and brewhardware.com sells a full diameter false bottom that is excellent quality.

The price difference between the 13" and 15" is only $20. Personally I would invest the extra $20 now. It is nice to have a false bottom that fits the entire width of the pot/keggle.

I had a no-name 10" originally, and have moved up to the hinged 15" from Nor cal brewing. It is awesome, and seems to fit perfectly. I like that it doesn't slide around like the 10" did.

I do all grain, no bag, and love my 15" FB.

I've got an extra 15" Hinged FB that I might be looking to get rid of. PM me an we can discuss.

Back