Keggle boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
Been using my keggle for the last few brews. I notice that I am always ending up with Less then 5.5 gal...
I have always kept a healthy- but not vigorous boil. Now that I'm outside with this thing- I am cooking off more wort!
1. The Boil has always been an hour- on the nose.
2. the amount of wort collected has always been the same (6.5 gal, etc).
3. There IS some wort that has to be left behind- the ball valve W/ Bazooka screen is not THAT low- but it's not a significant amount.

Any ideas? I did try to take a reading with my notched paddle to see where I was at 5min left in the boil- but- of course- the fluid level is not accurate given the boiling state of it.
I was thinking that the grater surface area of the keggle could play some role- but..... seriously....it's not THAT much wider than my old kettle. Is that variable significant?
In the mean time- I intend to collect more wort next time- maybe 7 gal. or more-
In the mean time, I'll enjoy the beers that have an extra little kick in them....

You could add some (sanitized...boiled and cooled or bottled) water to the fermenter to bring it back to 5.5g. You're not boiling off wort, you just boiling off water so it's going to be more concentrated.

I experienced this too with my keggle. I think it's the added diameter that's causing the extra boil off. The difference between 12" and 15" diameter kettle is over 56% difference in surface area...that significant! If you're using software (i.e. beersmith) you can account for the extra boil off under equipment properties (i think it's there).

:)

Exactly! Thats what I was thinking- I knew I was not loosing sugar- hence the upside being the potent brews- but I was unsure of how to calculate the diff. in surface area- but what you report (56%) is Very significant!

What is wrong with collection 7 gallons of wort? With my keggle I collect 7 gallons with a 60 min. boil to get to 5.5 gallons. I guess with a very light grain bill you might have to worry about over sparging but with most beers you will be fine.

I collected 8 gallons today- and boiled for an additional 20 min, and got what I needed. I'm going to No less then 7 from now on.

Back