kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
This will be my first batch to home brew, i have been in wine making for about 6 months now and want to try the beer making side. my first kit will be just a starter kit from brewers best the Red ale. I want to go into a keg instead of having to bottle, with kegging a kit do i have to do anything different for carbonation of the beer or just fallow the kit instructions and then when all finished go into the keg? thanks for the help i know its a very newb question but just trying to get a grip on exactly what im doing before i start.

If you want carb with co2 then you don't have to worry about adding anything and it's quicker. Keg beer after three or four weeks or depending on style. Then hit it with the appropriate volume of co2 and wait a week or so for it to fully carb.

No, don't follow the carbing instructions for the kit, they usually are for when you are bottle carbing and conditioning.

You have two basic options: naturally carbonate in the keg by adding priming sugar and let the yeast do their work (just as in bottle carbing and conditioning) or force carbonate with CO2. Most follow that latter option.

There is a subforum on bottling and kegging here on HBT which you might want to look at, especially two of the sticky threads at the top of the forum:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/ and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

And welcome to HBT!

Edit: Jake, I see on your profile that you say you're 19 and I believe the forum's rules are that you must be 21 (if you're in the USA) to join the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back