Kegging vs party pig cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxomophone

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a pig since I'm getting tired of bottling and have limited space and shmbo issues with kegging. When I search for party pig on here I invariably find a remark that for a few bucks more you can get a keg system. Can someone explain this to me?

The way I see it, you buy the basic pig thing and a couple accessories and you're looking at around $50 or $60 bucks and then you buy those pouches for a few buck for every 2.25 gallons you put in the pig.
For kegging, you can spend around $60 for a basic set up, then you have to buy a keg for around $45 used and a CO2 tank for $60 ish plus the cost of CO2. Then there's the issue of having to have a dedicated fridge/kegerator that can cost you anywhere from free if you find a free fridge plus your labor to a several hundred bucks by the time you get done with taps, drip trays, temp controllers, etc. And there's the cost of running the kegerator.

So, comparing the two, after the cost of the pig, I can buy the pouches for something like 50 gallons of beer before you figure in the cost of CO2 and the kegerator. Then there's replacing O rings and lines.. I just don't see how people say kegging is only a few bucks more unless I'm shopping in the wrong places.

I used the "Tap a Draft" system for years before I finally got the money and the room for a keg set up. The Tap a Draft fits nicely on a shelve in the fridge and is easy to dispense with the CO2 cartridges. I have never used the "pig" set up but I'm guessing it works the same.
MoreBeer.com has the Tap a Draft system.

Cheers!

If you're willing to scrounge and craigslist and whatever, you can get a small kegging setup going for relatively cheap. If you want something nicer or with several kegs or mostly want new gear, it'll cost ya. Two party pigs plus some extra pouches is probably about the same cost as the cheapest you could get a used 5 gallon corny and CO2 tank, dorm fridge, and odds and ends to make beer come out, but that setup may not be real expandable and you'll probably have a plastic party tap instead of Perlicks and a drip tray.

The pig is easy and can fit in the fridge you already have, but you will need two (or some bottles, or make small batches). There is some cost to the pressure pouches, but there's also a cost to bottle caps or CO2 or o-rings, as you noted. I have both, and if you're serious about going kegs at some point and have the money and space to do it right, I'd go down that road. If you're just tired of bottles and want to do something on the cheap, there's nothing wrong with a pig or two, people just don't want you to "waste" money on that if you'll get keg fever two months down the road.

I can see how if I was doing this as a step towards kegging, in the long run it would be cheaper to invest in kegging equipment. I've been brewing most of the 12 years I've been married and the anti-keg position hasn't changed. I figure the party pig can be slid in under the radar.

My main reason for doing this is to cut back on bottles. 24 bottles and one pig should cut my bottling time in half. I generally brew once a month so if I drink the pig first it should be available by the time the next batch is ready to be bottled.

I'll check out the tap a draft system too.

I was able to get two party pigs, plus the pump for $30 from craigslist. I just need to get my hands on the pouches next time i go to the lhbs. Online it's too expensive to buy those with shipping.

Back