Kegging vs bottling - flavor differences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Does anyone keg? obviously someone does but my real question is "does the beer flavor differ from kegging and bottling?" I mean some homebrewers say their brews taste better with time.(letting it sit for longer in the bottles) With kegging you are speeding up the process. Will this make your beer not as good? Is it better to bottle for flavor purposes? Any other comments or questions, please add. Thanks all!

I just kicked a keg of ESB last night. It was force carbed at 30 psi for about 60 hours. It tasted great, well carbed, and I really enjoyed it.

Tonight, I tried a bottle, naturally carbed, from the same batch. I really didn't enjoy the bottled beer as much as the kegged beer. In fairness, it's only been in the bottle a week, not fully carbed, and I only had it refrigerated for 5 hours. But I tasted the kegged version slightly carbed also and it did taste better at that stage.

As far as taste difference between keg and bottle, I think once my bottles fully carb, and chill properly, I won't notice a flavor difference. I think my dissatisfaction with the bottle was from the lack of proper carb, mouthfeel and the fact I still had yeast in suspension from not properly chilling. More "experimenting" is necessary to be sure

Well it realy depends on if you are like the guy above an drink right after kegging or if you like to conditionin the keg ,
i personaly like high gravity brew that sits for for atleast 3 months in keg if lagering and maybe 6 months if its like a stout in a bottle were imnot loking for clean light flavors that yeast at the bottom of the batch is part of the beer to me man

Well, a lot of people do use kegging to speed up the drinking part but it's not the best decision.
If I poured two of the same style beers in front of you, one bottle conditioned one force carbonated, I doubt you or anyone else could tell the difference. They've tried.

Best?

Back