Kegging (time frame for kegging)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbass1968

Reaction score
So, I'm having a brain fart. Recipe calls for 1-2 weeks in fermenter then 1-2 weeks bottle conditioned. As I'm not bottling, whats the process? Can I just Keg and carbonate as soon as fermentation is done? TIA

You'll be better off if you let the beer sit on the yeast for a bit. The yeast is cleaning up after itself even if it appears fermentation is concluded.

Now, that said, I just kegged a beer at 8 days in the fermenter. It was dry hopped and my goal was to get the beer off the hops before I began to get vegetal notes and such.

And further, just to muddy the water, I kegged a Kolsch after 8 days, and at 11 days I was serving it to my LHBC. And it was GREAT.

So what that all means? Leave it on the yeast for a bit, then keg, unless you're really impatient. :)

You can. Some beers will taste green. Others better. I kegged a Marzen at two weeks that was my best beer ever. But I prefer 3 weeks in fermenter

I think the answers to this question nearly always skip over what I feel is the main point: After primary fermentation is done, beer needs to condition for a short period before it will taste its best.

You can either do that by letting it sit in the primary fermenter, or you can keg it right away and let it sit in the keg. It doesn't have to be kept warm, either. Just put it in your serving appliance, hook up the gas to carbonate it, and let it sit for the same amount of time. Don't hook up the tap line!

There is a minimum period of time required for the so-called "clean-up" period where warm temps and yeast contact help. But I just consider that part of primary, and it's 1 or 2 days, not weeks.

My personal experience is that nearly all of my beers (4-6% ABV) turn a discernible quality corner after 2 weeks conditioning in the keg. At 3 weeks, they are at their peak. And they are carbed and cold and ready to drink!

For all my beers I do 2-3 weeks in primary, the last week being at 70 degrees, take fg, cold crash for 3-5 days, then keg, dry hop if needed, and force carbonate. I usually let the beer sit for another week or two to so it can fully clear and condition with the dry hops.

Back