Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
Kegged my first beer today. I charged the tank with 15 psi I was rocking it and noticed beer in the C02 line . What causes this

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There's nothing to stop the beer from going into the line, other than pressure from incoming gas, but that only lasts until the pressure equalizes. When you put the gas coupler on the keg post, the poppet is depressed and it's now a two way street. Normally it's not an issue due to gravity, but when you start rocking the keg you can potentially splash beer up in there.

In the future, take care to always keep the gas post higher than the liquid level, and don't get too carried away when rocking the keg so you don't splash beer up there.

Personally I would suggest the set-and-forget method of carbonation, which makes this sort of thing impossible.

Another option is to prime the keg, and just use the CO2 to dispense. I began doing that about six months ago and love it.

Here is what I do when I want to force carb.

Hook up gas as like 25 or30 psi. Disconnect gas and roll the keg on the floor.

Hook gas line back up and recharge to 25 or 30 psi and roll keg on the floor. Do this a couple of times until it doesn't take much more gas when you charge it back up. Then release all the pressure in the keg and charge to serving pressure and keep hooked up.

Be careful because its easy to overcharge this way. You might want to cut the PSI down on each "roll of the keg" until you get down to serving pressure.

Also make sure your beer is NICE and cold when you try and force carb it.

+1 to not rocking it... Just be patient, hook up the gas at normal dispensing pressure and wait ~8 days. I have an extra CO2 line in my keezer just for that. By the time I float a keg the next one is ready. Rinse and Repeat.

I'm in the don't rock the boat camp.

I initially carb at 20 psi for 2-3 days. then reduce to serving pressure which for me is 12lbs. wait about 5-7 days then it's usually good to go.

You should sanitize that gas line now though...for sure. Unhook it and get sanitizer through there.

Back