Kegging problems new Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sctocinci

Reaction score
So I put together a new kegerator with a Danby DAR440 and a 2 tap tower. I have the 5 lb tank in the fridge with the 2 cornies. I set both kegs to 12 psi and left them for a couple weeks. They didn't carbonate so I cranked it up to 30 psi and left for a couple days. They were then over carbonated so i shook and purged. Back at 12 psi and same problem. The beer starts out foamy and seems flat. There is a weird sweetness to both kegs, almost apple juice like. I put starsan solution on possible leak areas and everything seems to be leak free. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks,

James

What kind and length of beer lines do you have? What is your serving PSI? How are you cooling your tower?

I just got a keg pressure gauge and LOVE it. No more guessing at the pressure of carbing kegs.

What kind and length of beer lines do you have? What is your serving PSI? How are you cooling your tower?

I just got a keg pressure gauge and LOVE it. No more guessing at the pressure of carbing kegs.

I bought the 2 tap tower from kegconnection.com I'm guessing the beer lines are around 4 feet, just the ones that came with it. I'm serving at 12 psi.

I cranked it up to 14 psi, I'll see if there is any change.

How does the pour look at 12 psi? What is the temperature of the beer? BTW, 4' long lines are too short, period.

There is a head on the beer, but no bubbles rising to the surface and it tastes flat. I'll check beer temps and post back. The fridge seems to be in the low 40s from the thermometer I have inside.

Longer lines will allow more CO2 to stay in solution. Also, I wouldn't rule out a pressure gauge calibration issue. It may be reading high so what looks like 12psi may really be 10. You get the idea. If you raise the pressure a one or two PSI, it does take quite a while for the carbonation level to adjust to it since the delta is so small. I'd swap out the 3/16" ID tubing to 8' lengths, and set the reg to 14psi and wait 5 days.

I bought the 2 tap tower from kegconnection.com I'm guessing the beer lines are around 4 feet, just the ones that came with it. I'm serving at 12 psi.

I cranked it up to 14 psi, I'll see if there is any change.

All your CO2 is coming out of solution when it hits the glass. This is being caused by not enough resistance in the beer line, and maybe the tower being too warm.

Increase your line length to 10 feet. Use 3/16" beer lines.

Buy or make a tower fan, and make sure your tower has foam insulation the full length. You would be shocked how much that little bit of cooling in the tower helps the pour.

I just bought the same setup from kegconnection and modified the same fridge. After doing a bunch of searching, I was under the impression I had to get longer lines as well and actually cool the tower too. In my case, even though I was sure my brew was under carbonated, it was indeed over. I disconnected from gas...purged several times over the course of a couple days. Reconnected gas at 8psi and waited. I've had perfect pours ever since. No joke. After days of pouring nothing but foam of my precious Double IPA, it was pretty radical to finally pour a perfect pint.
My advice is try what worked for me first...then go and throw money at it (although my bet is that you'll be cool, as is).
Word. Good Luck.

ForumRunner_20120309_202102.jpg
*hmmm...not sure why my pic got rotated.

Back