Kegging pressure help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosmur

Reaction score
From the internet calculators, I see that if I want to have beer at 5 degrees celcius, and want that beer to have 2.2 volumes CO2, I need to set my regulator on my CO2 tank to around 9.5psi. This makes sense. If I have a medium length pipe off my keg I should get a decent pour pressure.

Now, if I cannot refrigerate my keg while I am carbonating, and my carbonation temperauture is 20 degrees C, the equivalent regulator pressure I am told to employ is 23psi for the same volume CO2. Obviously if I try to dispense at this pressure I get warm beer, and a glass full of foam.

Can I do this :

Set pressure to 23psi, carbonate for a week or two (I know it takes longer to carb at higher temperatures) then disconnect my co2 tank and chill my keg to 5 degrees C? If I do that, will I get 2.2 volumes CO2 and a reasonable pour pressure?

ie if I carb warm according to the calcs (higher PSI) then cool after, is it the same as carbing cool at a reduced PSI ?

I don't have first hand now leave but I want to say yes you could carbonate at room temps at higher PSI then drop serving pressure to the fridge temps setting I usually hit 12-15PSI At 38f and have it be at the proper level.

You could also serve warm at the higher PSI if you wanted to. You would only need longer serving lines to reduce the amount of head pressure at the faucet. Wouldn't recommend it. But you could do so if desired.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Back