kegging noob; leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbes

Reaction score
What is an acceptable leak rate? Is there one? Or should a keg hold pressure indefinitely?

I've got a used keg which seems to be losing pressure, ever so slightly. I've lost 2 psi in about 6 hours. I've submersed the keg in water, looking for holes but nothing showed up, so I'm fairly confident I'm not going to see a beer puddle in my fridge when I rack my first batch into it.

Would you all be concerned about this leak? Or would you say it's normal?

Change all of the O rings on a used keg and use keg lube and try again. If it is still leaking it is probably a poppet. It shouldnt be loosing pressure if properly sealed.

Is it an already carbonated keg? Or did you just rack beer into it and pressurize? If you're carbonating the beer will absorb CO2 so leave the gas bottle turned on set at serving PSI. I use 12-15PSI at 38F. If you're pressurizing the keg then shutting off gas bottle the beer will absorb the co2 resulting in the pressure drop over time. Until the beer reaches equilibrium with the pressure set on the regulator the pressure will drop as long as the gas bottle is turned off.

Hi folks,

It was a seal thing; I changed out all the seals, pressure held nicely. I think I'm gold.

Gonna rack my stout in there tomorrow, here's hoping there are no more surprises.

Latest posts

Back