Kegging/Nitro with.... Liquids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrown221

Reaction score
I work at a bar and we are looking to start kegging our pre batched margaritas. I wanted to charge it with nitro! Nitro coffee seems to be the thing, and you guys are pros, so I figured I would turn to you.

I used this for a first attempt without trying to charge a full keg:
http://www.isi.com/us/culinary/home-edition/products/easy-whip-mini/

I put in 8oz of liquid, charged it with one charge of nitro, and dispensed. It was all foam and none of the liquid retained any foam or mouthfeel. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but it is a disappointing start to the experimentation.

Do I need a higher end whipping siphon? Is it not possible to nitro charge that kind of liquid? Please help!

The purpose of using Nitrogen in draught systems is to push the product at higher pressure without overcarbonating (as opposed to using CO2 alone). You aren't actually dissolving N2 into the product, since it is extremely difficult to dissolve N2 into any water based solution at temperatures and pressures used in draught tech. Without any level of carbonation and some sort of head retaining agent such as proteins, you aren't going to get any lasting head, no matter how your pour it.

Forget the kegging system and make a better drink. Quality over quick convenience. If you want a head like quality for the margarita, use egg whites.

Hm.

Science can't fix this? There is no sort of stabilizing agent I can add to the drink? Xanthan or otherwise?

I put a can of light beer in the blender with my blended margaritas and it gives it nice foam. However, I prefer my margaritas with a smokey Mezcal on the rocks.
Sorry I haven't tried beer gas yet to add much constructive ither than that I've read that the type of faucet is almost as important at the nitro for making the creamy head associated with stouts.

I put a can of light beer in the blender with my blended margaritas and it gives it nice foam. However, I prefer my margaritas with a smokey Mezcal on the rocks.
Sorry I haven't tried beer gas yet to add much constructive ither than that I've read that the type of faucet is almost as important at the nitro for making the creamy head associated with stouts.

5cd03518c8e726d39c2fd91b571aa9c7.jpg

Gelatin could work, xantan or maltosec (maltodextrin) would probably be better. Google texturas and you'll find what you need

Gelatin could work, xantan or maltosec (maltodextrin) would probably be better. Google texturas and you'll find what you need

Whatever you use for head retention, you will still need to carbonate to some level to get a head to form. Nitrogen alone will not dissolve enough gas into the beer to create a head. You want to carb to some level with CO2, and then put it on pressure with a mixture of N2 and CO2 (aka beer gas.) You need to pick the beer gas mix so that the CO2 partial pressure at serving temperature will maintain the correct carbonation level, otherwise it will eventually go flat (no head) or over carbonate (too much foam.) You also have to have enough resistance in the serving line and tap to control the flow rate of the pour to about 1 gal/minute or less. A stout tap or a flow control tap will be needed if the serving pressure is high enough.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back