Kegging My First Hefeweizen- Need Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Is there anything I need to do other than rack it to my corny?

Can I carb it at the same volume as my other keg (which was my first kegged brew)?

It's set to 13psi at ~40F.

Appreciate the help!

Is there anything I need to do other than rack it to my corny?

Can I carb it at the same volume as my other keg (which was my first kegged brew)?

It's set to 13psi at ~40F.

Appreciate the help!

Jiffster, ironically I am getting ready to keg my first German wheat beer myself. I have been doing a lot of reading and several knowledgeable brewers have given me great advice here.

I was advised to get the beer in the corny at serving temp so the CO2 is more easily absorbed into the beer. I think I'll wait one day in the kegerator before applying gas to the keg. I run my keg at 35 F, since I have a couple of other commercial sixtels alongside. According to the carb chart, I'll equalize my wheat beer at 12 or 13 psi to give me the CO2 volume a wheat beer is best served at. If you are at 40F, the chart may take you a tad higher than 13...maybe 15 psi.

I also got good advice to let the beer condition some to develop it's full potential and flavor. You and I are skipping the step of conditioning in the bottle and doing it in the keg instead. Carbing is not all we are looking for, conditioning will be beneficial to our finished beer.

Good luck on your Hefeweizen!

There's no reason to wait to turn on your gas, it will equilibrate as the temperature of your beer drops, and getting a head start doesn't hurt anything.

Also if you want to speed things up, just set your pressure at 45PSI for 18 hours, turn off the gas, pull the quick disconnect to purge all of the head pressure, then set the pressure at serving and let it be for 3-5 days

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unrelated question, do you have different/multiple C02 settings for various styles in your keezer or similar) or do you maintain 1-2 separate pressures for multiple styles?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unrelated question, do you have different/multiple C02 settings for various styles in your keezer or similar) or do you maintain 1-2 separate pressures for multiple styles?

For me, I like a carb level that you'd find in most bottled beers commercially, so I use one general c02 pressure (about 2.5 volumes). There are a few that I like a bit more or less, but I don't care enough to have separate regulators.

On the other hand, there are more than a few brewers who have several regulators for specific styles.

The only thing I serve differently is something like soda (which I rarely make now that my kids are grown) or wine (which is not carbed at all).

I'm the same as Yooper on the gas. I set mine to around 2.4 on about everything and let it go. On a separate note, you don't condition Hefeweizen. Get it charged up and get to drinking it. Hefe is made to drink as soon as it gets carbed, so get it chilling while carbing, and then get to drinking it. Don't age it at all; it'll lose its "Hefeweizen-ness" (my favorite style) if you age it like you would a Porter or Stout.

Excellent, thanks folks. It's on the gas now - 30 psi for 36 hours at ~40.5F then purge headspace and set for 12 psi.

I'm using a picnic tap on 10' of line until I finish my keezer build so my pours aren't as "nice" as I think they should/could be.

Excellent, thanks folks. It's on the gas now - 30 psi for 36 hours at ~40.5F then purge headspace and set for 12 psi.

I'm using a picnic tap on 10' of line until I finish my keezer build so my pours aren't as "nice" as I think they should/could be.

Lumpher thanks for the tip on conditioning (or should I say non-conditioning a Hefeweizen). Jiffster I run a dual regulator for the exact reason to control carbing situations as you are doing now. If I have two kegs in my kegerator and force carbing one as you are doing.....what about the other keg? A dual regulator if you are working two kegs is handy. On the other hand, you can run two kegs on one regulator but that works best with the set and forget method so your other keg stays equalized.

It's completely up to you, but generally, German wheat beers are carbonated significantly higher than your standard American and English ales. I usually go to about 3.2 to 3.3 volumes on mine. Admittedly, though, that can be inconvenient depending on your setup. I have a 4 product secondary regulator, so setting a separate pressure isn't an issue, but it does make for a tricky pour. I really need to invest in a flow control faucet for beers like that.

I'm sure it would still be enjoyable at 2.4 - 2.5. Just not exactly to style.

Kegged 3 gallons of mine two days ago. This was my first BIAB and after fermenting for 16 days it started out really funky, so I may be conditioning it for a while. I also have a dozen bombers that will be first tested in about 3 weeks.

Kegged 3 gallons of mine two days ago. This was my first BIAB and after fermenting for 16 days it started out really funky, so I may be conditioning it for a while. I also have a dozen bombers that will be first tested in about 3 weeks.

I actually just saw your thread talking about it. I've had a number of funky beers turn out great after a week or two cold conditioning, hope yours is the same!

I actually just saw your thread talking about it. I've had a number of funky beers turn out great after a week or two cold conditioning, hope yours is the same!

That is what I am hoping. I have 4 other brews on deck so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. :D

I ferment my hefe's for 10 days, keg and carb them over a 2 day period, and I am drinking them on day 13. If you're bottling, I know it will take longer, but a funky taste when young does not bode well for the future.

This here is my best brew so far. Getting better at the process. Can;t wait for my next brew since I got a grain mill. Hoping to improve my efficiency.

Latest posts

Back