Kegging into a Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforet

Reaction score
Has anyone ever filled a growler from a keg ?

Just wondering if it would be possible so I could take my beer on the road with me when I got camping in my trailer.

Thinking that bottling that I would just stir up the sediment in my bottles.

Thanks
D

I do it all the time as well. I think it works better with a picnic tap and BM Bottle filler. All you need is an appropriate sized drilled stopper and a racking cane. I fill them all the time for my friends with minimal foaming or carbonation loss.

Get a bottling wand and the spring end off. Shove the wan inside your tap and turn the co2 all the way down to 1-2 psi. Degass it a few times and fill your growler.

Sent from my iPhone

I do it as well. I finally got it down pretty well. Bottles, on the other hand, are another story.

I use the inside part of my racking cane, jammed right into the end of my picnic tap. Actually works pretty well. It does help to the chill the growler first.

Basically what everyone else is saying. I just use a racking cane attached to a picnic tap with a stopper on top to make a seal with the bottle. Just burp it as you fill at a low psi and it works great!

I think it works better with a picnic tap and BM Bottle filler. All you need is an appropriate sized drilled stopper and a racking cane.

I don't even bother with the "appropriate sized drilled stopper." The stopper on my BM bottle filler is sized for my regular beer bottles, but is obviously too small for a growler mouth. I find it doesn't really matter. I just chill the growler bottle in the freezer for 10 minutes or so, dial down the pressure on the keg, jam the BM bottle filler tip into the bottom corner of the growler and fill it anyway. I get minimal foaming if the pressure is low enough and the growler is nice and cold.

Just make sure you cap on foam to ensure there's no oxygen in the growler when you cap it and you should be good to go. I still tend to try and consume the beer within a week of bottling though. Honestly, I'm usually drinking the beer that night (i.e., filling a growler on my way out the door to a party), in which case you could even skip the sanitizing step.

I just put some 1/2in silicon hose over my tap and pour using 1-2 psi. I've seen tap rooms use the same method.

I just put some 1/2in silicon hose over my tap and pour using 1-2 psi. I've seen tap rooms use the same method.

How long of a piece do you use? I fill with a spring off bottle filler. I use to run it through a bung but I've stopped doing that. Your way sounds easier.

Back