Kegging in a Pony Keg / No C02 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

generikal

Reaction score
I have recently came across an empty pony keg. I searched far and wide for the right answer but haven't had any luck finding the right answer

Is it possible to successfully Carb with priming sugar, condition for a couple weeks, toss on ice then hook up a hand pump style tap and serve at a christmas party.

THANK YOU very much for your advice.

Yes it is. Just use half of the priming sugar as you would with bottling.

As for getting beer in, there are some youtube videos for taking the spear out. Pretty easy.

Yeah I'm not worried about the spear, just concerned about not purging and if it'll carb up fine?

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!!!!

Yup. It will be just like bottle conditioning. I've done it in a 1/2bbl and 1/6bbl. You just use half the total amount of sugar that you would use for bottling. Say you use 4oz for bottling, use 2oz instead.

Yes it is. Just use half of the priming sugar as you would with bottling.

As for getting beer in, there are some youtube videos for taking the spear out. Pretty easy.

I'll repeat. A "pony keg" is 1/4 barrel. Here's a link on US barrel sizes and weights: Keg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Note that full barrel's used to be produced (approximately 36 gallons) but were eventually discontinued due to the weight (about 300 pounds just from the weight of the liquid) and other factors.

So, it is a bit confusing because what some people refer to as a "full keg" (15.5 gallons) is 1/2 barrel. To make matters even more confusing an import "barrel" is a bit smaller (13.2 gallons) than the U.S. 1/2 barrel.

I'll repeat. A "pony keg" is 1/4 barrel. Here's a link on US barrel sizes and weights: Keg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Note that full barrel's used to be produced (approximately 36 gallons) but were eventually discontinued due to the weight (about 300 pounds just from the weight of the liquid) and other factors.

So, it is a bit confusing because what some people refer to as a "full keg" (15.5 gallons) is 1/2 barrel. To make matters even more confusing an import "barrel" is a bit smaller (13.2 gallons) than the U.S. 1/2 barrel.

I know the sizes, and I will repeat, it will be fine as long as you use half of the sugar you would with bottling (for the total volume), whether it's a 1/2bbl, 1/6bbl, or 1/4bbl, etc.

I know the sizes, and I will repeat, it will be fine as long as you use half of the sugar you would with bottling (for the total volume), whether it's a 1/2bbl, 1/6bbl, or 1/4bbl, etc.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be snide with you. It wasn't obvious which question you were answering when you posted "Yes it is". The first post and the 2nd post were both questions that could be answered with your phrase.

Latest posts

Back