Kegging for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am hoping to use Christmas as a launching pad for getting into kegging!I am hoping put mostly kegging stuff on my Christmas list and hopefully i can afford to buy whatever I need to complete everything. I have an old chest freezer that will be the chamber, so I am mostly concerned with where to direct family to find the best kegging kit value. I was hoping to get some suggestions, it doesn't necessarily have to be an all inclusive kit. For example I would be fine getting a kit, kegs, and a c02 site from all different sources.

I imagine that ball lock is probably the way to go since it seems more common than pin lock, and I am guessing I should start with 2 keg setup. But I really hope you all can use your experience to direct me to the best deals and direction with all the other factors (# of kegs, style, types of regulator, etc).

I am just piecing together my keezer also using Christmas/Black Friday to jump start it. My birthday is in January too which helps. So far I have a 6.8 cu ft chest freezer that will hold 6 ball locks. Which I believe are the best if you have a space problem because pin locks are much wider. Pin locks are however usually quite a bit cheaper. I got my ball locks pretty cheap for Black Friday. I would. FOR SURE check out http://www.kegconnection.com for kits. They're great for everything, fast shipping, and great customer service. I hope that helps!

Cheers!
:mug:

Gift cards from lhbs, NB, Midwest! That way you can figure out what you want to get started! That's what I got!!! Cheers!!!

I see beverage factory has a couple different regulators, which do you guys recommened. And should I start with one that i can do two different PSI's, or is that not neccesary?

Also, can you get c02 for cheaper not online or is online the easiest and cheapest way to get them. Any recommendations and size of c02 tank?

I have purchased a lot from beverage factory.

I got the cheapest dual regulator available and it has worked fine for me.

I also have a 5 lb CO2 cylinder from them and just ordered a second. It fits nicely inside my kegerator with my two kegs. I've had 5 kegs attached to it and have push filtered 2 kegs with it and it hasn't run out of gas yet. I think any larger for a dual tower kegerator is unnecessary, unless it is a real pain to refill. I only have to drive 15 minutes away.

Look at Beverage Elements for kegs. They have some brand new "class 2" kegs that are essentially reduced price because there are some less than beautiful welds, etc on 'em. OTOH, who cares if they aren't perfect welds as long as the kegs hold pressure. :) I got two of 'em for $68 each.

One other thing I'd recommend, regardless of where you shop, is to just buy the Perlick stainless faucets from the beginning. You'll end up wanting to upgrade (probably sooner than later) anyway, so save yourself a little cash and hassle and just go for it. Also, get 10-12ft 3/16 beer lines for each tap.

Just my two cents. Have fun putting your system together and enjoy the brew.

I also thought ball lock was more common so I went that way. All the kegs I'm finding locally and cheap online are pin locks. Neither is better than the other.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards a 2 keg set up with a taprite regulator with air distributor. Then getting the kegs from beverage elements and getting the c02 from somwhere else.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards a 2 keg set up with a taprite regulator with air distributor. Then getting the kegs from beverage elements and getting the c02 from somwhere else.

I would check out http://wwww.kegconnection.com for your setup. They have the cheapest that I've seen. I would also checkout http://www.homebrewing.org for your kegs. They have some great prices. Those new ones seem like they're a great deal at beverage elements if you want to spend a little more and you have the cash. Who cares about a few blemishes.

Those new ones seem like they're a great deal at beverage elements if you want to spend a little more and you have the cash. Who cares about a few blemishes.

I got my two a couple days ago. Minor blemishes, looks like some of the welds may have been a bit sloppy and ground down, but who cares? Shiny new kegs at a price that is competitive to regular used ball locks.

Back