Kegging Connundrum (noob)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miggedymike

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2 wheat beers ready to rack to kegs, month long primary each. This will be my first kegging attempt.

I do not yet have the refrigerator drilled due to a poorly machined shank I received. It is being replaced and en-route. I have everything else ready though.

So my question is whether I can put these beers in keg now under some pressure to get them ready for this weekend. If I can without issues, how much pressure should I apply? Should I put it on a constant pressure from the tank, or set it high and disconnect? Perhaps some combination...? I will drill when the shank arrives on Wed. and connect everything up.

Thanks in advance for any thought and reply.
Mike

Set the pressure to between 25-30 psi. I think I just answered a thread like this less than 12 hours ago. Does anyone ever just use the search engine? Oh yeah, constant pressure. Never high then disconnect

You'll find a lot of different answers to this question. Unlike dj, I set mine at 10-12 PSI for most things I brew and leave it there. It takes a little longer to carb up, but it's a steady process, and less fussing with it.

That being said. Get that beer kegged, cooled and start carbing it. This way, when you get your shank issue corrected, it'll be more ready than if you waited.

You can put it on a higher Psi, 30 or so, which will carbonate it quicker than if you set it at the serving psi which is 10 or 12. Also, if you carb them up warm verse cold, the pressure will need to be adjusted. Search the forum, members with more experience then me has posted up carbonating schedules at specific temperatures.

30 PSI for 48 hrs, then down to serving, (10-14 PSI).

Or spike it to 30 PSI to seal the keg, then release some of the pressure in the keg and set it to 10-14 PSI immediately, then leave it for a week or two to carb up.

Either way works.

Psi numbers don't mean anything without knowing the temperature the beer is at.

I usually do 30 psi for 24 hours at 45F and then drop down to 13-14 for however long it takes, 1 week or so from that point.

Back