Kegging Carb Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr0ker

Reaction score
I just received a keg kit and like everyone I am looking to get that first kegged batch carbed quickly. I have 10 gallons of cream ale that was brewed in August that is ready to rack, so luckily I won't have to wait for green beer.

Typically when I bottle condition I shoot for right around 2.0 vols of co2. I would like to shoot for the same volume of co2 with kegging. I will be keeping the keezer @ 40 degrees, so according the site I have always used for priming sugar calculations in bottles http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?17385713#tag , I would need to keep the pressure @ 6.8 psi.

I would like to have this beer ready to go 12/24, so my plan is:

• Finish oxiclean soak for kegs today
  • Rinse and sanitize both kegs
  • Purge keg with co2
  • Rack both beers into the kegs
  • Let co2 seal lid, then close lid and burp some gas through
  • Set the regulator to 30 psi for the night
  • Leave keg in 40 degree fridge connected to gas
  • Turn the gas down to 7ish psi in the morning

I have watched videos where folks did the whole shaking the keg method, and I would to avoid that because I do not have a check valve and I would hate to ruin a brand new regulator.

Does this sound like I am missing anything to the experienced keggers? I have bottled over 50 batches, but this will be my first time kegging.

I'd give it closer to 36 hours at 30psi, but otherwise your plan is fine.

Two things jump out at me. Four months is a long time for a Cream Ale. It should be drank fresher. And 2.0 volumes it too low. Should be more like 2.6.

Good luck!

I just received a keg kit and I would like everyone I am looking to get that first kegged batch carbed quickly. I have 10 gallons of cream ale that was brewed in August that is ready to rack, so luckily I won't have to wait for green beer.

Typically when I bottle condition I shoot for right around 2.0 vols of co2. I would like to shoot for the same volume of co2 with kegging. I will be keeping the keezer @ 40 degrees, so according the site I have always used for priming sugar calculations in bottles http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?17385713#tag , I would need to keep the pressure @ 6.8 psi.

I would like to have this beer ready to go 12/24, so my plan is:

• Finish oxiclean soak for kegs today
  • Rinse and sanitize both kegs
  • Purge keg with co2 <== unnecessary, waste of CO2. Purge after filling.
  • Rack both beers into the kegs
  • Let co2 seal lid, then close lid and burp some gas through <== Put some keg lube on the O-rings (or Vaseline in a pinch), latch lid, then set with CO2, and check for leaks. At 5-10 psi I release the latch and push the lid down a bit in several spots. If I see any bubbles I need to check and correct the seating. That little push down reseats the O-ring nicely too. Once seated, purge the headspace with CO2 a few times.
  • Set the regulator to 30 psi for the night
  • Leave keg in 40 degree fridge connected to gas
  • Turn the gas down to 7ish psi in the morning

I have watched videos where folks did the whole shaking the keg method, and I would to avoid that because I do not have a check valve and I would hate to ruin a brand new regulator.

Does this sound like I am missing anything to the experienced keggers? I have bottled over 50 batches, but this will be my first time kegging.

The shaking, it's rolling/rocking actually, will give you much faster carbonation. As long as pressure is in the line and gas is streaming into the keg, beer won't backup into the hose. Keep the gas connector pointing up (between 10 and 2 o'clock) while rocking back and forth, and have the gas line loop up to your CO2 cylinder.

But beware, if the pressure in the keg is higher than the pressure in the gas hose it may push beer or foam into that line. That's why I find it good practice to release the keg pressure a bit before connecting a CO2 line. You get a feel for how much to release it.

Roll at 30-40psi, until the beer doesn't take up anymore gas, about 10 minutes. Put keg in fridge with gas at 30 psi for 24 hours. Release gas in keg to bring down to serving pressure and the next day you should have perfect pours. You may taste a little carbonic acid bite, a slight metallic flavor, which will subside over the next few days.

I don't agree that purging with C02 prior to racking is unnecessary. Anything you can do to help avoid oxidation is a good thing.

I would recommend completely filling the kegs with a Starsan and water mixture, use 1 oz of Starsan for 5 gallons of water, then push this out using C02 just before racking your beer to the kegs. This will ensure the kegs are fully sanitized and pushing this solution out with C02 will remove all O2 from the tank to help prevent oxidation.

In the future, after cleaning your kegs, you can store your kegs full of the Starsan and water mixture. Purge the Starsan solution with C02 just prior to racking. This will save you time since the kegs will be sanitized and ready to use whenever you need them.

Good luck!

Turn the gas down to 7ish psi in the morning

I agree with all of iBrewR's points. Go more 24-36 hours at 30psi then turn down to your desired psi. I wouldn't bother doing the rolling method, and since you want it ready on the 24th it will definitely be ready using the non-rolling burst carb method. I burst carbed my Coconut Porter without rolling and it was ready in 4 days, I was quite surprised. I also second his comments on the Cream Ale.

Rev.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know the cream ale is way past its prime. I have brewed this specific recipe (jamils weed feed mow with slight modifications) quite a few times and its really good fresh. I brew 10 gallons normally and this time when I brewed it I split the batch and used t58 since it was hot outside just to see what flavors that yeast imparts on the brew. I am really bummed it sat for 4 months before I had time to try it, but on the plus side that's part of what pushed me move to kegs. Watching that beer sit for months while I procrastinated/dreaded bottling stinks. The two beers were significantly different from what I sampled while kegging, but both were good. The folks I will be serving on xmas eve are bmc drinkers.... Belgian character but not sour from the t58, very dry. The other fermenter was s05 or wlp029 iirc and did not ferment as dry. It was kept in a fridge cold (40ish) since after primary was done, and tasted good/drinkable, but not bright like normal.

Kegging for the first time was interesting. I had to take the gas lines off the regulator and rewrap them with extra teflon tape after a couple of attempts. Star san was great for leak testing. Cut a knuckle on one of the kegs and did not realize until the wife asked why there was blood all over my hand. Of course this happened while filling the keg.

The kegs are now chilling in the freezer at 30 psi and 34 degrees. I have put together the gas system, checked for leaks, repaired leaks, sanitized kegs and lines (oxiclean/scrub/rinse yesterday), filled kegs, and cleaned up all in the time it would have taken to bottle one 5 gallon batch. This is much easier.

I've smoothed the sharp edges on the opening of all my kegs with a dremel tool or fine wet/dry sandpaper. They can be razor sharp.

Did you get blood in that beer you were kegging? You could get chopped for that.

Luckily I am *pretty sure* there is no blood in the beer :mug:

When I get ready to drop the psi from 30 to 10ish tomorrow morning, should I?:

• Disconnect the gas lines
  • Bleed off co2 from kegs
  • Set regulator to 10 psi
  • Reconnect gas lines

I am assuming if I just leave it connected as is and try to lower the psi, the kegs are at a higher psi so the psi wouldn't actually drop unless I bleed it out?

Luckily I am *pretty sure* there is no blood in the beer :mug:

When I get ready to drop the psi from 30 to 10ish tomorrow morning, should I?:

• Disconnect the gas lines
  • Bleed off co2 from kegs
  • Set regulator to 10 psi
  • Reconnect gas lines

I am assuming if I just leave it connected as is and try to lower the psi, the kegs are at a higher psi so the psi wouldn't actually drop unless I bleed it out?

You don't disconnect anything. Just turn down the regulator and purge the keg. Then set it back to 10 psi.

I'd give it closer to 36 hours at 30psi, but otherwise your plan is fine.

Good luck!

This is what I do and it works great every time.
I also lower the psi to 12 when done.

Before lowering psi I disconnect the gas, purge the keg, lower regulator and purge to 0, set regulator to 12 psi, hook gas back up to keg.

After doing this I like to wait a day or two, and the beer will be fully carbed to my likening.

Back