Kegging and Yeast Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
Quick question, I searched but couldn't find my question specifically, maybe someone here knows better.

I know that one of the main reasons for repitching yeast prior to bottling is to jump start carbonation during the bottle conditioning period.

I also know that it is not necessary to jump start carbonation when you keg because you are forcing it with co2 over a shorter period of time.

However, does that yeast addition also contribute to a desirable flavor profile in the beer that will be left out if you do not add it prior to kegging?

Everyone I have talked to briefly mentioned there is no need to pitch another round of yeast prior to kegging due to the forced carbonation... I just wasnt sure if this was going to change the flavor of the brew as well..

Example: My Southern Tier Unearthly clone (Imperial IPA) is in the secondary at the moment. 3 days prior to bottling you are supposed to add a second dose of the american ale yeast... should i skip that if i am kegging and not bottling?

thanks for the help guys

The recipe is calling for more yeast at bottling because the beer has a pretty high ABV. If you bottled the beer without adding yeast it would most likely still carbonate, just take a real long time because the yeast is pretty stressed out by the high alcohol enviroment. Since your force carbing, there is no worries about the yeast. I doubt the yeast addition was for flavor purposes and more probably for bottle conditioning/carbing.

i had a feeling thats mostly what it was for, just wanted to throw it out there and get some other opinions.

Back