Kegging and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rponcejr

Reaction score
Can you bottle after you keg. Of you wanted to give away a sixer for ****s and gigs

This is what I do, though I have a small piece of vinyl tubing attached to the filler tube with a clamp, and the vinyl tubing goes over the picnic tap spout instead of inside it.

Takes a little bit to figure it out but once you do....

I got into kegging primarily so I could carb beer more quickly and then fill bottles from that keg w/o the yeast layer in the bottom of bottles from using priming sugar.

I'm going to do a keezer too, but I'm glad I went in this direction.

I just bought the blichman beer gun. It's amazing!!! I'll now never have to bottle carbonate again. Simply force carb then bottle away!!!

It fills bottles from bottom up maintaining the carbonation level with no foaming and purges the bottles with co2 from a hose attached to the co2 tank. It's freaking brilliant

brewgun2..jpg

So say you brew you ferment and keg. You just have to wait 3 days For it to be ready. Don't have to wait for 3 weeks no longer. We are new to kegging. Still new to brewing.

I just bought the blichman beer gun. It\'s amazing!!! I\'ll now never have to bottle carbonate again. Simply force carb then bottle away!!!

It fills bottles from bottom up maintaining the carbonation level with no foaming and purges the bottles with co2 from a hose attached to the co2 tank. It\'s freaking brilliant

brewgun2..jpg

I\'ve been thinking about getting one of these, either the Blichman or the Last Straw from NB.

Is there anything with this you wish were different or you have to make compromises with?

I\\\'ve been thinking about getting one of these, either the Blichman or the Last Straw from NB.

Is there anything with this you wish were different or you have to make compromises with?

Yes.

It leaks co2 and wastes some unknown amount as you bottle.

Foaming can be a huge issue if your bottles are not cold enough or the pressure is too high while bottling (flip side is that it takes a long time to bottle at a super low pressure).

The cleanliness of it always makes me nervous even though I clean it every use.

There appears to be at least some drop in the level of carbonation after bottling with it.

It's cool but not the end-all solution we all wish it was, at least in my opinion. Still cool but I've been using carb drops to bottle some of each batch now and they're consistent and painless.

Nothing! This thing is incredible man!!

If you disagree with the list I wrote up there you'll find out soon enough, it's a great tool to have but not exactly perfect....or maybe I just got a dud...[emoji85]

If you disagree with the list I wrote up there you'll find out soon enough, it's a great tool to have but not exactly perfect....or maybe I just got a dud...[emoji85]

I haven't had any of those issues man. What do you speak of leaking co2? I don't leave it hooked up when I'm done bottling. I have never noticed any co2 leak from my gun. But even if it did, I'm using it for what? 10 mins? So it's negligible.

Loss of carbonation hasn't been an issue for me either I dunno. I like my beers about 2.2 or so in CO2 though, I'm not big on highly carb'd beers. But my ales haven't been flat pouring em.

As far as foam, haven't noticed too much foam at all even in warm bottles. Mine are all soaked in star San so that alone with foam a little. But I don't mind an inch or two of air space. I purge the hell out of the bottles so I know no oxygen is getting in.

Yes.

It leaks co2 and wastes some unknown amount as you bottle.

Foaming can be a huge issue if your bottles are not cold enough or the pressure is too high while bottling (flip side is that it takes a long time to bottle at a super low pressure).

The cleanliness of it always makes me nervous even though I clean it every use.

There appears to be at least some drop in the level of carbonation after bottling with it.

It's cool but not the end-all solution we all wish it was, at least in my opinion. Still cool but I've been using carb drops to bottle some of each batch now and they're consistent and painless.

Never had an issue with leaking CO2. You're bottling at 5psi so it's a small trickle.

Foaming can be an issue but if you make sure the keg and bottles are cold you'll only get foam for the first beer until the line is cold. (when I know I'm bottling I chill down to the mid 30s).

Cleanliness? Beer only goes strait through it. It comes with a pipe cleaner, just run it straight through the tube and soak in solution. It's like 3 parts. You might need to replace the hose from time to time though.

I've never had a drop in carbonation. Make sure there's the appropriate amount of head space.

I've read threads where the beer gun gets a lot of hate. It's true, there are just as good ways to bottle that are cheaper, but I got mine as a gift and love it.

Ya I'm not understanding the issues. The benefits are incredible. I get bottled carb'd beer 2.5 weeks after brewing. That's so dang awesome!!

Back