Kegging already bottled beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all, my keg is empty and I really want to fill it with another brew. Im really regretting bottling my old ale last wednesday, because it would have been the perfect candidate for kegging. Its only been in the bottles for 5 days, is there anyway I can keg empty them into the keg? Im not sure how to adjust for the Co2, but after 5 days I dont think that the priming sugar would have done much.

Ideas, thoughts?

Priming sugar would have almost completely carbonated that beer by now. Really at 5 days you are just aging to let carbonation and flavor all mix together to give the brew the best flavor possible. The only thing that you could do is siphon out every one of those bottles into a keg and be sure they dont touch normal air. This would include purging out the keg. But to get that many bottles in you would likely have to purge many times.

My suggestion. Let this one sit for a week or two in the bottles and enjoy that way, and remember to keg for next time.

Put it this way. I feel bottled and naturally primed beer is the best. But kegged and tank carbonated is the easiest and very very similar in flavor. Easier for a little bit less flavor.

Just leave it in the bottles. If you dont want to. I will trade you a bunch of miller lite for your brew.

Yeah, I agree, just brew up another batch for the keg....Unless you could rig up a closed system from bottle back into keg that wouldn't introduce any O2, it's probably best to sit back and enjoy some nice bottled beer.

moving it from a bottle to a keg seems like to much potential for issues with oxidation.

Priming sugar would have almost completely carbonated that beer by now. Really at 5 days you are just aging to let carbonation and flavor all mix together to give the brew the best flavor possible. The only thing that you could do is siphon out every one of those bottles into a keg and be sure they dont touch normal air. This would include purging out the keg. But to get that many bottles in you would likely have to purge many times.

My suggestion. Let this one sit for a week or two in the bottles and enjoy that way, and remember to keg for next time.

Put it this way. I feel bottled and naturally primed beer is the best. But kegged and tank carbonated is the easiest and very very similar in flavor. Easier for a little bit less flavor.

Just leave it in the bottles. If you dont want to. I will trade you a bunch of miller lite for your brew.

No it would not have finished, waiting 3 weeks is an important step that you can not rush. Wait 3 weeks to enjoy your beer there is a BIG difference between week 2 and week 3. If your beer is fully carbonated after 5 days in the bottle expect some gushers or bottle bombs.

Back