Kegging a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
Is it better to keg a stout or to just use bottles. No sure how to do it. I can let it age in a keg or in bottles but I dont have nitrogen for the keg. Does everyone on here either bottle or keg their stouts. Long time aging is better in bottles so I was just wondering?

I keg mine if it's not an imperial or something that I want to age for a long time. I don't have nitrogen either. I use about 8psi with my stouts and a 7 foot line. They come out great.

I keg my stouts so I can carbonate them. Depending on the stout, I'll either drink it out of the keg ( dry, oatmeal, etc ) or bottle it from the keg after it is carbonated for aging ( RIS ).

I just kegged my oatmeal cream stout, set the tank to 7 PSI to carbonate and serve it, carbonation seems about right for a stout.

I like it but not enough to use up one of my only two kegs. I have 3 other beers waiting in-line. My last stout came out ok, guess its a little green still even though its probably 2+ months old. Didnt get great carbination, well I guess its flat still. Would like to make another to see if I can improve on the outcome.

Back