kegging a high FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
I recently brewed a nice strong ale SG @ 1.070, and after 2 weeks it is at 1.030. Im a little worried about it not meeting the "recomended" FG of 1.018-1.014. Im gonna be patient with it... if it doesnt progress more in the week, im thinking about re rousing the yeast, possibly re-pitch? I know we all stress about some bottle bombs etc. but if i cant get this thing goin again and i put it in a corny what can i expect out of this beer...

Don't touch it unless the SG doesn't move for a solid 3 days, then if it's still out of range, consider repitching. As I understand it, however, beers with a higher OG tend to take longer to finish fermenting. Hell, I brewed a beer with a 1.041 OG and let it ferment for 2 weeks. I probably wouldn't even bother checking that thing until week 4.

Well obviously you needn't worry about bottle bombs when you keg. ;)

If you keg at 1.030 then one of two things will happen. Either it's really finished as far as it's going and you'll simply have a brew with a bit more residual sweetness than you intended, or it'll gradually ferment out a bit more in the keg. If the latter happens you may find that you need to bleed off a little co2 now and then to prevent over-carbing. Not a big deal though.

I'm not sure what your definition is of "recently brewed" but if it's less than a month old I'd just leave it for now. If it's still 1.030 after a month then my guess would be that it's done.

A Belgian Strong like that will do well with several days at around 74-76 degrees. Imparts the desired esters and also insures you have a more thorough fermentation.

Get that temp up for another week to make sure fermentation is not just taking a cold weather vacation.

Thanks for the help... Its been a while since i had a beer take more than a week and a half. But it was just a regular kit with dry yeast. I know the wort temp is at 65, and i have a coat around the carboy to try to warm it up, and if its not doing that its just for looks. But after reading more about higher readings i guess im gonna take the approach and get another batch goin and keep that in there for a while. After all i did just find 3 new cornys on craigslist, whats the rush... :)

Back