Kegging 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBry

Reaction score
So I haven't kegged in several years, had even sold all my kegging stuff and have just been bottling. I have a real basic question as I set my newly purchased kegging equipment up.

Does the CO2 hook to the side that has the rod to the bottom or to the other side?

Thanks

Like @Tobor_8thMan referenced, some suggest plugging the CO2 line into the serving/out post for carbonating while doing rapid forced carbonations. The idea is, the CO2 will inject from the bottle up as the bubbles climb upward through the beer. I used to do rapid force carbs (when I was low on homebrew and wanted to be impatient), and never noticed a difference between carbing through the out post versus the in post. Plus, you run a higher risk of what Tobor mentioned.

As I've gotten older, I find that I'm more patient...I set it at 8-10 PSI and walk away for a week or two. No over-carbonation, no serving issues, etc. More often than not, I tended to overcarb when I did the rapid force carbonating process. Don't get me wrong, when you have a party in two days and need to get CO2 in there, it'll work (in a pinch).

I initially push the keg lid closed with 30 psi. I then check for leaks. If things are OK, the keg goes into the keezer and carbonates at 30 psi to 1 to 2 days. I then dial down the regulator to the psi for the desired levels of CO2.

Nothing worse than beer backing up into your regulator. Make sure you have check valves on your manifolds. They aren't always on there - even the expensive ones.

Back