Kegging 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWS

Reaction score
So I goofed (maybe subcontiously not), but I scheduled a lagering Oktoberfest, and an Amber Ale to be finished right about the same time. When I started thinking about it, I decided, I don't really want to have one full day of washing, cleaning, sanitizing and filling about 100+ bottles, so I have decided to step into the Kegging World (been really wanting to anyway, just a good push).

And instead of testing the waters out, I basically just jumped in head first. Today I received via FedEx my four cornies, CO2 canister, lines, shanks, taps, double regulator, basically the whole set up for a Keezer. I already have the Freezer ready, just need to make the collar for it and I also have the temp controller on it's way. So in a couple of weeks I should have a fully functioning Keezer without beer yet:(.

So in getting ready for it, I have some questions that I haven't really found a solution to or am a little confused and couldn't get the right search in to get the keywords.

1) I have read a lot about people who keg, cold crash the beer right before kegging or right after, since the beer needs to be cold to accept the CO2 without cranking the regulator way up. Is there a general consensus of whether to rack the beer to the keg then cold crash, or cold crash in the fermentor?

2) Purging the keg of oxygen. I have read quite a bit, but couldn't find an exclusive answer, but is the way to purge the Keg is the lock down the lid, pump CO2 to it, stop the CO2 once done pumping, and release the pressure valve on the top of the keg, and repeating a couple of times?

3) I know there is tons of debate about whether to add priming sugar or not, but do some people put a form of finings in the keg to let it clear even more if using the "set-it-and-forget-it" method?

4) Is cleaning a keg with Oxyclean okay?

1. I cold crash in primary to get as much sediment out before going into the keg.
2. Correct. Fill with 20-30psi, and purge vent 2-3 times
3. I do not use any finings. I cold crash, keg, set to service pressure (12psi) and let it sit for 2-3 weeks.
4. Oxyclean is fine for stainless.

What is the length of time for cold crashing in the primary? Week?

cold crashing in the fermentor will allow you to remove more yeast and some suspended solids that cause haze before racking so if that is something you would prefer, then by all means do it before kegging.

The oxygen purge you described sounds like what I do, but not sure if its the best way.

As for finings... you could use isinglass in the fermentor and let it sit for 4-5 days, then rack to the keg.

Not sure about the oxyclean deal.

Back