Kegerator using drink door?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I'm looking to create a kegerator from a fridge and came across the fridge in the picture. I'm thinking that I could make a holder for the faucets inside the fridge and then just use the drink door to fill from. In the inside I'll make a shelf to hold 4 kegs and a co2 tank. Any one do this before or have any thoughts of why our why not this week work? This is my first attempt at a kegerator so any suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 1442107706483.jpg

View attachment 1442107713570.jpg

View attachment 1442107722029.jpg

So if I understand, you will need to open that door every time to pour a beer? Have you considered drilling through the door and installing the faucets in the drink door so you wouldn't have to open the door except for maintaining the system? I think it will work fine the way you stated, keep things out of the way... What will you mount the faucets into?

So if I understand, you will need to open that door every time to pour a beer? Have you considered drilling through the door and installing the faucets in the drink door so you wouldn't have to open the door except for maintaining the system? I think it will work fine the way you stated, keep things out of the way... What will you mount the faucets into?

Opening it each time isn't a problem, I don't drink too often. The other scabbard is that the kids can't walk by and pull on handles

If I understand correctly, you want to install faucets on the clear poly-carbonate behind the access door? Well, there certainly isn't any harm in trying. Just don't trash the access door. I like your idea, because the faucets, and hose would stay cold and your first half glass would not foam up due to temp differential. However, I'm worried about 2 things: Will it fit? Is their enough room for all the faucets you want to install, and operate the handles, disassemble them, etc. My other concern is, will the poly carbonate be able to support the weight and stress of the facets, and you working them? Especially after drilling holes in it. I say go for it, as you have nothing to lose. If it does not work out, you will be forced to do a conventional door mount that is guaranteed to work. Either way, you win.

If I understand correctly, you want to install faucets on the clear poly-carbonate behind the access door? Well, there certainly isn't any harm in trying. Just don't trash the access door. I like your idea, because the faucets, and hose would stay cold and your first half glass would not foam up due to temp differential. However, I'm worried about 2 things: Will it fit? Is their enough room for all the faucets you want to install, and operate the handles, disassemble them, etc. My other concern is, will the poly carbonate be able to support the weight and stress of the facets, and you working them? Especially after drilling holes in it. I say go for it, as you have nothing to lose. If it does not work out, you will be forced to do a conventional door mount that is guaranteed to work. Either way, you win.

I agree. I'm worried more about the fit of the faucets (although you CAN operate them sideways to maximize height) and fitting a glass inside. Perhaps you should consider a retractable cobra taps! You could probably fit 4 in your setup. I can see that working really well where your pulling the draft line over the glass that is placed on the door lip, pour, push line back through a drilled hole in the plastic case behind and you're done! Hmmm I'm liking it more and more. Plus it's cheap! Problem is you won't be able to dispense over 12psi: leakage

I would definitely put some reinforcement on that polycarbonate. Generally that stuff is really brittle and it doesn't tolerate concentrated stress well at all. I'd probably get a cheap pvc cutting board. I'd use some construction adhesive to bond it to the polycarbonate. Then I'd drill the shank holes. I recommend the pvc because metal will corrode and wood will mold.

Perhaps you should consider a retractable cobra taps. Plus it's cheap! Problem is you won't be able to dispense over 12psi: leakage

Are cobra taps mentioned just the black picnic taps? I did a search and found a cobra tap tower, but don't think this is what you are referring to. Also what is the psi limit mentioned?

I would definitely put some reinforcement on that polycarbonate. Generally that stuff is really brittle and it doesn't tolerate concentrated stress well at all. I'd probably get a cheap pvc cutting board. I'd use some construction adhesive to bond it to the polycarbonate. Then I'd drill the shank holes. I recommend the pvc because metal will corrode and wood will mold.

Nice idea on the PVC. I was already thinking about making a reinforced back, but with wood.

Anybody ever see someone take a faucet (something like a perlick) and create a way to pour it as a hand held rather than mounted?

My concern will you have enough room for the facet glass and any tap handles. I love the idea but I would measure to make sure.

Any idea how much space I should plan for?

Are cobra taps mentioned just the black picnic taps? I did a search and found a cobra tap tower, but don't think this is what you are referring to. Also what is the psi limit mentioned?

Yes, Picnic taps. Sorry, 'cobra' must be a colloquial term out here...

Unless you can discover some taps with different specs, cobra or picnic taps are only rated to 12psi. beyond that, the gasket will give way and leak (*yes, they DO leak at high psi*) I serve at 8~10 anyhow, and I don't think you'll need to go above that. Just disconnect if you decide that you want to force carb.

Here are some specs on the tap from keg connection: http://www.kegconnection.com/draft-party-faucet-sample-faucet-plastic/

Back