Kegerator shank length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AluminumGerbil

Reaction score
Just drilled up an old refrigerator to convert to a Kegerator, but can't seem to find any information on how long my shanks have to be to go through the door. The door measures 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" thick. How much extra length should I have on the shank to accomodate the nut that holds it on, etc...

Thanks in advance.

I used 4" shanks through my 1.5" keezer walls. The info I recieved when I was wondering this question was that longer was better. Having more mass inside the cold space allows the tap to stay colder and help reduce foaming at the pour.

Just drilled up an old refrigerator to convert to a Kegerator, but can't seem to find any information on how long my shanks have to be to go through the door. The door measures 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" thick. How much extra length should I have on the shank to accomodate the nut that holds it on, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Probably 1/4", 1/2" at the most.

Sweet, so a 3" should work no problems, but a little longer would be adventageous...

*That could be taken a lot of different ways. :)

just spring for the few extra bucks and get the 4 or 5in shanks. If you ever switch fridges or mount the taps on something thicker, you'll be glad you did.

Back