Kegerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
I think my kegerator may be on its way out. I'm starting to explore options for her replacement. My tower and dispensing equipment is perfectly fine, so all I really need is a new refrigeration unit.

I wanted to get some opinions on what I should look to get. Should I just get a small fridge, or go the chest freezer w/temp control route? Which is the better way to go?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

If you have the space and don't mind the aesthetics too much, I suggest going the chest freezer route. I use a chest freezer and love it. My friends went the kegerator route and regret it. With the chest freezer you have more room for less money, its easy to get a single keg in and out. You have access to the tops (and connections) of all of your kegs. The downside of the Keezer is condensation and aesthetics (both of which can be cured with just a little ingenuity).

Another option to consider, if you don't mind giving up your tower, is to go with a normal sized, or apartment sized if you have some space constraints, fridge converted to a kegerator. This buys you extra freezer capacity - freeze hops in there, or regular household food as well.

The main downside I'm finding to my kegerator is getting the empty keg out of there, particularly when it's one of the ones in back (I can get as many as 6 kegs in mine, but only 4 taps).

i have both. I have the kegerator (small fridge) built into my bar in the house. In the garage I have a temp controlled chest freezer (minus taps). I ferment/condition/carb up in the chest freezer, then serve out of the kegerator in the house. Mainly, I didn't have room for the chest freezer in the house. Personally, I like that setup (got the kegerator for a wedding present, picked up the chest freezer for 50 bucks on craigslist). I only have 10 kegs, so 3 are usually in the kegerator at any given time. That leaves me more than enough room for the other 7 in the freezer, along with 2 carboys and the 20# bottle of CO2.

Thanks for the responses.

I live in a condo, so space is a little limited. Also the kegerator stays in a normal room, not a garage or basement. So aesthetics are a factor (I hadn't really thought much about that until you guys brought it up). My tower is a dual tap. I don't see the need for more than that.

I also don't brew lagers, so sub-60 degree temps aren't a requirement. I stick pretty much to session ales.

The more I think about it, the more I think I will simply replace my small fridge with a new one. It has worked well for me.

Back