Kegerator out of a Bull Semen Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddoaggie

Reaction score
Yes, you read that right, a Bull Semen Tank as a keggerator, well hopefully. My girlfriend got me an awesome early birthday present, this huge 300 lb semen tank that holds temperatures really well.

What I'm thinking is that I can use dry ice in a container to keep the kegs cold and run the taps out to the side. I haven't tested the temp range or the length of days that the dry ice will last, but with a styrafoam top over the equipment (and located in the neck, like semen tanks have), it should last a good long time. I also don't know exactly how much dry ice to use to keep the temp in the mid 30's but will post once I find out.

I think this should work, if not, I can probably put in a frige cooling unit and compressor, but really don't want to mess with that unless I have too. Any thoughts, ideas, advice?

Thanks!

kegger1.jpg

kegger2.jpg

And the plug behind the tank is for a freezer, not the tank, it's not electric. Semen tanks are meant for holding liquid nitrogen for long periods of time.

I've said it before: I'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity of folks in this hobby and their ability to repurpose things and find clever uses for which they were never intended. This is a first so I gotta see where this goes.

I've said it before: I'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity of folks in this hobby and their ability to repurpose things and find clever uses for which they were never intended. This is a first so I gotta see where this goes.

Definitely this.

Plus I would scrub the inside of that thing out like I've never cleaned before.

I could see this as a fermentation chamber over a kegerator. ALso, my only advice is to clean, clean, clean, and then clean that thing again!

Definitely this.

Plus I would scrub the inside of that thing out like I've never cleaned before.

I could see this as a fermentation chamber over a kegerator. ALso, my only advice is to clean, clean, clean, and then clean that thing again!

This is just a guess but, I seriously doubt they had this thing full of cow jizz like a milk jug. Instead, I expect this held liquid nitrogen in which vials of prize winning cow pearl were cryo-stored.

I'd still clean and sanitize, but I doubt there is much of anything biological that can survive direct contact with liquid nitrogen.

This is just a guess but, I seriously doubt they had this thing full of cow jizz like a milk jug. Instead, I expect this held liquid nitrogen in which vials of prize winning cow pearl were cryo-stored.

I'd still clean and sanitize, but I doubt there is much of anything biological that can survive direct contact with liquid nitrogen.

I know they dont just keep 300 gallons of cow "pearl" in that, but it would still be on my mind if i didnt clean it about 5 times

:D Semen is kept in straws, which are in contaniners. No semen ever touches anything, as soon as semen hits air, it dies (hence the freezing of the straws). The only thing that touchs the walls of the tank is liquid nitrogen. With that being said, I will be cleaning and sanitizing it anyhow. And, I can't really use it as fermentation chamber, because it's too big to fit into the house.

I wonder if this could be used for a good freezer for a yeast farm? I know the keep that semen pretty cold. Just a thought. I really have no idea.

"So, what did your girlfriend get you for your birthday?"
"A tank to hold bull semen."

hmmmm
Is her baby clock ticking? Maybe this is a sign.

This is going down as the best thread title I've seen here so far.

I know they dont just keep 300 gallons of cow "pearl" in that, but it would still be on my mind if i didnt clean it about 5 times

That would make for a good joke every time you showed it to somebody new. As they were drinking some of your beer.

"Boy, I sure do hope you cleaned that thing out well!"

"What do you mean? It's stainless. It didn't need any cleaning."

BULL SCROT BREWING

MUST DO MUST DO MUST DO MUST DO

With a mind altering IIPA called simply BULL Squirt......

Best thread title EVER everevereverevereverevereverever

I'm surprised that no one has made reference to Caddoaggie's collegiate affiliation or his location in College Station.

Whole new meaning to Aggie Homebrewers.

holy crap

This is kinda like saying you'd drink from the faucet in an airplane bathroom because it's far enough away from the toilet.

On a serious note, I would check the model number of that tank before you do anything. I'd specifically look for a cutaway diagram that details the insulation layers in the side. Drilling a hole in the side may ruin it. I looked up MVE cryogenic tanks and could not find one that looked like yours on the web(didn't look that hard). There are tons of different kind of tanks with varying types of insulation. Some seem to have fabric/fiberglass or foam, some can have a glass vacuum chamber like a coffee thermos.

I agree with the last post... It's likely a high vacuum vessel. You don't want to be punching any holes in it. If it is there's probably a vacuum port somewhere on the outside of it.

BULL SCROT BREWING

MUST DO MUST DO MUST DO MUST DO

With a mind altering IIPA called simply BULL Squirt......

Best thread title EVER everevereverevereverevereverever

It took 25 posts before anyone really started having fun with this thread. Of course, it had to be Cheezy. :cross:

Could call it:

Angus Angst Pale Ale

or

Bull Nut Brown Ale

OT: Whose job is it to collect those samples of bull spuzz? I sure hope it pays well. "What do you do for a living? Ummm...I milk bulls..."
And how do you hire someone like that? "Hey buddy, can you give us a hand?"
And would you put that on your resume?

/OK, I'll stop now.

Back