Kegerator get-around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownribbon

Reaction score
For those of you who are poor grad student like I am and can't afford/don't have the room in your apartment for a kegerator, I came across a good solution recently: chill a pint glass in the freezer for a while (at least 30 minutes), pour your beer, let sit for ~10 minutes, drink and enjoy.

I'd prefer if it was a few degrees cooler, but it sure beats drinking room temperature beer.

Feel free to boo me if this has been suggested before. And before you ask, the keg itself was a Christmas gift from the parents.

If you're planning to drink a few with some friends you can also set the keg in a cooler and put ice around it.
For one keg a 5 gallon bucket might be better.
You are drawing from the bottom of the keg anyway.
That works for me while I'm having a barbecue or something and would rather have the keg outside where no one has to get up from their chair and walk 6 or 7 feet through the door to the kegorator.

A frosty mug is very nice though!

I do like the frosted glass idea. I'm a poor undergrad student and asked for a corny keg last year for my birthday. This year I'm asking for a gas regulator and a CO2 cylinder.

What are you drinking anyway? I've found some things to be rather pleasant at room temperature, although my study brewery is a fairly cold room anyway.

If you're planning to drink a few with some friends you can also set the keg in a cooler and put ice around it.

I've done that before (albeit with a 2 gallon bucket) and it takes a long time before the beer gets cold enough. Single glasses chill quicker but unfortunately they can only be used once.

What are you drinking anyway? I've found some things to be rather pleasant at room temperature, although my study brewery is a fairly cold room anyway.

Right now I'm drinking Deadringer IPA, the kit from NB. Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm brewing a batch of my own American amber ale.

Back