Kegerator Connundrum Redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguescotbrewing

Reaction score
Hey kids. Got my 42 year old BeverageAir working again... kinda. She'll fire, chill, hold temp... and randomly trip the overload. Replaced everything... thermostat, overload, and starter relay. Guessing the compressor might be starting to die? I know where to find a replacement 1/2 horse Tecumseh, but is swaping it out something a DIYer can do after getting the system purged and depressurized?

I guess it really comes down to how much you value your time and if you have the ability to actually do it. Screams 'too hard' basket myself.

Guess I'm gonna have to find a guy who knows a guy...

Still, bought the beast for $40, and have only put $150 into it, most of that was for the service fee for the recharge! A couple hundred for a new compressor over a couple THOUSAND for a brand new BM-23 is how I'm looking at it.

A new BM-23 is ridiculously overpriced.

With even modest skills I'd think anyone could duplicate it's function for about a third of the price - which is about how much it's going to take to fix an old one...

Cheers!

Ok... Been chewing on a thought. Starting/run capacitor. Mine didn't have one, and am wondering if adding the cap will give the compressor enough of a kick to NOT trip the overload after running for a while. How and where would I install said critter?

Kindly disregard this. Took the time to do a top-down cleaning and inspection of everything... and lo and behold, the simplest fix was the best! After going after the condenser coil with paintbrushes, pipe cleaners, and a shop vac, she's been running for a full week without nary so much as a hiccough! Holding a comfy 35 degrees, cycling nominally, and purring like a kitten! IT'S ALIVE!! ALIVE!!!

Latest posts

Back