kegerator... classics never die.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPBar

Reaction score
scored this baby on craigslist for 50. still runs great and very few dents and dings. finally able to build a vintage kegerator.

kegerator_0012.jpg

Marked out my holes for the taps. Two for now but wanted space for a third.

kegerator_003.jpg

Holes drilled and taps slid into place to see how she is gonna look.

kegerator_0063.jpg

Soap and water then sanded it down with 320 grit sandpaper, then hit it with a grey scotch brite pad, and cleaned it up with some rubbing alcohol. Then two light coats of primer, followed by a medium/heavy coat.

kegerator_0071.jpg

I painted the strip across the middle where the taps and the handle are gloss black. The rest is going to be a blood red/bergundy high quality automotive paint that my grandpa bought to paint a jeep that we no longer have. So I figured it should still go to a good cause. Pics hopefully to follow tomorrow when the paint is dry.

Wow...great find! I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Thought of doing the same with my 40's era Westinghouse, but since my Dad is a little touchy when it comes to 'vintage items', I have decided to clean it up and make it the bottle fridge downstairs by the movie room...

This thing is totally cool! The way you're refinishing it sounds like it is going to look really sharp.

Has anyone looked at the power consumption of an old unit like this compared to new ones? I'm sure they're not nearly as effecient, but how bad are they really?

Cool project - can't wait to see the final pics. :mug:

F-F-F-F-F-U-U-U-u-U-U-U-u-u-u-u!!! :)

I'm sitting on a 1951 fridge myself and don't have the time or space to clean it up or convert it. No shop space so I'd have to take it outside and it's getting chilly.

Definitey subscribing to this to see how your project works out.

Any idea what year it is? It looks a lot like the refrigerator that I use for a fermentation chamber, except the Westinghouse emblem is a little different.

Eventually, I'd like to re-paint mine and do a better job than the previous owner did.

fridge1.jpg

sorry guys didnt get it painted yet. electrical problems with our air compressor. up and running again though, now i just gotta get energetic enough to paint it once i get off of work.

no idea what year the fridge is though. i looked at the tag on the back and couldnt find a year. but yeah they do look similar.

well i finally got her painted. sorry the pic looks so bad. didnt clean my lens. its amazing how the color of this paint changes in the light. it bright light the color is almost a coca cola red. but in softer light it is almost a deep burgundy. im holding my breath to see how the clear coat i used comes out. when i sprayed it, it looked almost like i applied a heavy layer of dust. probably due to how cold it was in my shop or the fact that the clear coat was put on two days after the color was. hopefully i didnt ruin my paint job. :(
kegerator_016.jpg

this taken after the clear coat. i still have some touch up to do around the chrome, my taping skills lacked something to be desired.
kegerator_017.jpg

and as requested a pic of the inside.
kegerator_019.jpg

will post one final pic of it inside the house with a couple of taps protruding from its candy coated shell! :rockin:

have you test fit kegs in there yet? I have a very similar GE, but the cooling coil set up is further to the right.. I can only get 2 ball locks in mine because of the height.. I'm currently checking out the option of using Pin Lock converted kegs. but the 9' diameter might be a problem now.. lets see your kegs in place... i've also thought about trying to bend to cooling element out of the way alittle but I fear turning mine into an anchor..

A pic of my vintage frigidaire, early fifities I believe. Cleaned, scuffed and brush painted w/ Rustoleum oil base enamel. Fridge was free from a new mother in a new house who was paranoid because of the inherent danger of the locking door.

HPIM5386.jpg

here is my admiral only 4 1/2 feet tall I am not going to turn it into a kegerator its just my beer/soda fridge got it for $75 about ten years ago little beat up not much but I want to leave it the way it is for now
hey kids go get me a beer from the admiral:rockin:

2010_11200001.jpg

wow thanks for posting those guys. those fridges are awesome! i got mine in the house and mounted the taps. also threw the kegs and the co2 tank in. they fit perfectly, almost room for a 3rd keg! will post pics once i get her up and running! :ban: keep posting vintage fridge pics guys, i dig em! cheers!

Awesome fridges, I have an old Philco that has been sitting in an outbuilding for 15 years. I plugged it in the other day and it works like a dream.

Did any of you have to replace the door seal? If so what did you use?

here she is guys! plugged in and tapped! a spiced holiday porter conditioning inside, should be ready for christmas! :tank:

kegerator_058.jpg

kegerator_059.jpg

paint didn't come out exactly perfect but i am happy with it. cheers!

Your paint is better than mine...
2010-08-06205643.jpg

Got it for $15, then it bummed around various places while I was overseas. When I got it back it was rusty and moldy, so out came the paint...

Not sure what year it is, but it's got all the original internals in it. Still keeps my homebrew at 38 F.

inside pic is on post #20. not sure what size the shanks are. just the ones that came with the homebrew kegerator kit from kegconnection.com.

Got it for $15, then it bummed around various places while I was overseas. When I got it back it was rusty and moldy, so out came the paint...

Not sure what year it is, but it's got all the original internals in it. Still keeps my homebrew at 38 F.

awesome paint job! i still need a drip tray for mine. + cant go wrong with a fat tire tap handle! nice fridge dude!

Back