Kegerator and serving temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading an email from the guy who built the beer program I use that has me searching for some answers. I told him yesterday that the program was kicking back some weird PSI levels for force carb'ing at 38 degrees (the temp I have the kegerator set at). His response was that 38 degrees is too cold for many styles of beer and that I won't be able to hit some styles with any pressure without over carb'ing them. Sounded reasonable...

My questions to the group are: at what temp do you set your kegerator and where is a good online source for proper serving temps by style of beer?

My kegerator sits at 45 or so. 38 isn't necessarily too cold, but I like a little more of the flavors in my beer to come out. The only time I would set it colder would be if I had a keg of Miller, Bud, etc. in there. Then it would be set to 31.

What about serving temps? Anyone?

I was looking at a bottle of New Belgium Brewing's Frambozen (raspberry brown ale) and it said something like 55 degrees was the ideal serving temp. I let one warm up in a glass a little and it really did taste better.

BeerAdvocate (www.beeradvocate.com) has a beer styles listing w/ recommended serving temps.

The general rule is the fuller the flavor and higher the ABV, the higher the ideal serving temp.

I find almost all beers taste better if you pull them from the fridge and leave them on the counter for 10-15 minutes.

The exception would be "lawn-mower beers", hefeweizens, etc, which I like crackling cold.

Back