Keg vs. CP Filled taste (same beer, big difference)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregInMD

Reaction score
Not sure what’s going on here. I’ve had an all-grain NB Honey Porter in the keg for 2 weeks now. Two days ago I counter-pressure filled a few bottles for a party. The two taste completely different from one other but it’s the same beer! One is in a keg and one a bottle.

The kegged beer is smooth, balanced and a delight to drink. The bottled beer has a strong tart, almost astringent bite to it. The two couldn’t be farther apart from each other despite coming from the same place.

The keg psi and beer line is correct and I used the “set and forget method” to carb for 2 weeks. The Blichmann counter-pressure filer was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized as was the chilled bottles. The bottles were purged with co2 before and after filling. Everything is at the same temp. The bottles are noticeably less carbed.

I read through the archives but most posts discuss keg vs. bottled beer taste with priming sugar. These are counter-pressure filled bottles.

Does anyone else notice a difference in their keg and pressure filled beer?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Greg

I haven't noticed a difference, and have won competitions with beergunned beer. (Using "beergunned" as a word- first time for me!)

What you're describing with the flavor change and lowered carb level speaks to me of some oxidation and loss of c02. When you filled the bottles, did you have excessive foaming? Did you purge with c02 with the beergun? I'm trying to picture how you purged it if you did it after filling. That doesn't seem right to me.

Sorry for not being clear, Yoop. I purged the bottle with 5 seconds of co2 prior to filling and gave it a quick shot once I removed the tube. I didn't cap on foam but it was purged. Very low foam.

It is possible some air did get in but, it wouldn't have been much at all.

I'm surprised that little bit of oxygen and less co2 from the transfer would make such a sharp difference in taste. Could be the loss of carbonation.

Good news is the kegged beer is lovely.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greg

What's your bottle sanitation method? My beergunned beers are the same as my keg beer.

I give my co2 purge a 10 count fwiw.

Back