Keg usage advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnomeEnthusiast

Reaction score
I just picked up 3 full-size kegs for $5 each.

What should I do with them?

I'm an extract brewer looking to go all-grain, but not necessarily immediately.

Thanks in advance.

cut the top out of at least one and use it for a boil kettle, I would suggest getting a bulkhead fitting for it, and a dip-tube.

Dang, that's a sweet deal. I paid $25 each for mine. Ditto what the others said, cut a hole in one, send one to twardnw and the other to me.

Keggles are awesome. Once you use one you'll never go back!

Holy ****, I've been quoted atleast 60 each from some places. Even deschutes told me they dont even sell damaged kegs at all.

good price

You'll cut a hole with a kettle to keggle conversion device :) Some call it a dohicky, whatchamacallit, or thingamajig.

I used an angle grinder.

It seems these are aluminum, as a neodymium magnet wants nothing to do with any of them. Does this make any difference as to their usefulness?

They are probably SS, aluminum kegs a very rare. Most SS kegs won't attract a magnet, including the two I have. I remember reading why, but don't recall. I would definitely turn at least one of them into a BK though.

If you don't have a need for the other two you could sell em for at least $40 each I would think. That would help you pay for some all grain equipment.

Return them and use the money for pots. Kegs are heavy and are a real pain to clean. I know there are a ton of people using them, and I'll probably take heat for it. I just feel a keg is better as a keg and a pot is better as a pot.

-cheers.

Back