keg to mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
im wanting to convert a 1/2 bbl sanke to a mlt. seems like the best thing to do is a stem and ball valve in the very bottom. (pointing south)and a very low FB and draining wort will be moved to keggle via pitcher for now and later on a pump. ill either insulate the heck out of the mlt and possibly later install a burner just to the side of the valve. burner will be something small and efficient as ill just be holding the mash temp which will already be there via water heated in the HLT.

does this sound sound?

it would probably work, but I'm not sure it would be very convenient. you will have to sit it on some sort of stand or something with the ball valve coming right out of the bottom. There's no way to sit it on a flat table.

I am also not sure if putting a burner under there, even "off to the side" would work well. There are some non metal parts on the ball valves, and I would be afraid of the heat.

I did what you are talking about but I made the MT a tippy dump so that I could clean it easier. the arms that susoend it are mounted halfway up the keg so the bottom drain isn't resting on anything. Once the wort is transferred to the BK and I'm done sparging I can tip it up and dump the grains into a bucket below.

Back