Keg to Boil kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dageaux

Reaction score
Relatively new brewer here. Completely new to all-grain brewing.

I am currently working to convert a keg into a boil kettle. I have access to all the necessary tools, but I have a few questions:

First: Is there a preferred way to open up the top (after relieving the pressure of course)? I have a plasma torch, but I am concerned that it may leave slag bbs in the bottom or create some unforeseen problem. Any thoughts?

Second: How large should my top opening be? I don't think it really matters, as long as it's not too small. I was thinking of sizing it to the commercially available lid I purchased.

Third: How far above the absolute bottom should I install my drain nipple, and what size nipple (3/8, 1/2, 3/4, etc.)?

Fourth: What should I do for an internal pickup tube?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Cheers!

I asked the same question when investigating cutting options, I was told if you have your settings right on the plasma torch it shouldn't be a problem.

I just cut open my first keg using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and a flapper to smooth the edges. That seems to be the most popular method. My cut was pretty ugly.

If it's a keg with "star" shapes stamped in it (like this: http://www.homebrewing.com/articles/keggle.php) your gunna have a bad time with a grinder. I built a jig to hold the grinder and pivot at the specific radius I wanted and the cut off disc would just bend and flex and try to cut in a straight line. Im guessing I may have cut too deep too quickly. It took a whole lot of work with the flapper to clean up the cut. YMMV

If/when I do it again I would try a plasma torch, and probably make a jig to cut a perfect circle. I saw somewhere on youtube where before they cut the top off (with a grinder) that they filled the keg with water, I'm thinking that might help prevent slag from screwing anything up.

Any thoughts on how far above the absolute bottom I should install my drain nipple, and what size nipple (3/8, 1/2, 3/4, etc.)?

Also, what should I do for an internal pickup tube?

I filled mine with water and used a plasma torch. Worked great. I also made mine a bottom drain by flipping it over and cutting out the actual bottom(which is now the top) and used 2" triclover to attach a ball valve at the bottom... no dip tube needed.

I filled mine with water and used a plasma torch. Worked great. I also made mine a bottom drain by flipping it over and cutting out the actual bottom(which is now the top) and used 2" triclover to attach a ball valve at the bottom... no dip tube needed.

I'm building a boil kettle. Unless I've misunderstood something, I don't understand how you would arrange a burner if using a bottom drain? Have any pics?

thanks

Get a lid. Fit the hole to the lid.
The lid will help during heating (not boiling), and is great for storage so that no dust or bugs get in it between brews.
If you're using a plasma cutter, fill it with water first.
I you're using a grinder, make multiple shallow passes until you're all the way through.

Good set up for HERMS as well

The opening can vary a little depending if you want to use a lid, mine is 11.6250"... I just did one with a plasma and I still went over it with an angle grinder to make to opening really clean.

I used a pair of pliers to remove the snap ring and take the "guts" out of the keg. I also put in a few inches of water to keep anything from messing up the bottom.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410492271.191674.jpg

After cleaning up he hole.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410492437.291485.jpg

With the lid I got from Amazon

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410492496.462309.jpg

Latest posts

Back