Keg system leak, I think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
I have a weird situation with my keg system, it's a 5 tap system, nothing fancy pretty basic system that feeds off on 5 lb bottle, has 5 disconnects and a regulator.

My question is what could be causing my kegs to un pressurize when I run out of gas, happened last night and I found the kegs this morning unpressurized. The kegs that have already been carbed didn't have an ounce of gas in the keg , figured they would be some what pressurized, thoughts?

Thought maybe the pins might be bad on the gas side? And when gas connects stay on them they slowly leak out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would look at the poppets\pins and the ball or pin valves for the ins and outs of each keg. You can try a star san and water solution and spray on all connections and play find the bubble.

If all 5 are unpressurized I would look at the regulator and the Co2 manifold to make sure there isn't a small leak there.

Going to say make a spray bottle filled with water and soap. Start testing all connections one by one. Starting from tank to manifold then each line one by one. Tedious but at least you'll have peace of mind afterwards.

Already have no leaks

I would take a look at the all o-rings on each keg to see if they are not worn out or seated incorrectly.

Also as a small question do you seat your main o-ring with hard burst of CO2 before carbing?

Not sure what your meaning can you explain?

dip your manifold in water as well as your grey QD's. whatever bubbles is the culprit

I soaked it and no leaks

Do you seat your oring with about 30 psi before setting to carb. If there is a leak on that you'll hear it.

Either I missed something, or there's an assumption at work here that just isn't correct.

Unless a gas system is equipped with anti-backflow-preventers for each drop from manifold to keg, any leak anywhere in the system will cause the entire system to lose pressure.

If a keg is connected to gas there's nothing in the post/disconnect interface that's going to prevent CO2 in the keg from escaping back into the distribution system. You could have a regulator/tank coupler with a missing gasket causing the tank to empty at which point the head spaces of all the connected kegs would go next...

Cheers!

Thx for the help guys but I think I found the problem

Latest posts

Back