Keg Storage With Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitOS

Reaction score
I'm running out of beer in between brewing and am thinking about just brewing two at a time so I have backup.

Is storing a full keg of beer just like storing a bottle of beer? Do I need to carbonate the keg before I put it in the basement (unrefrigerated) for a month or so?

up to you if you want to carb it, but you will have to at least hit it with about 20-30lbs of co2 to make sure its sealed well and purge the o2. then age/store away.

edit: blah, tom was too quick for me lol

Yup, more or less... I always put some pressure on it before storing them. If you won't be able to re-attach it to your gas line, put a bit more pressure on it the one time.

So before putting it away, put it under 25lbs of pressure, but if you can take it out once in a while just put the usual 12 on a couple times until it absorbs the CO2.

Flushing the kegs with CO2 before transferring your beer into them is always a good idea too... reduces O2.

Sounds great. I was worried about storing beer in a keg but this puts my mind at ease. :mug:

Back