keg smaller gas dip tub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizgig

Reaction score
I have a spartanburg challenger VI keg that was missing an out post, a lid and a in/gas dip tube, I was able to source the other 2 parts, but the dip tube has a smaller diameter than the rest of my kegs. Any idea where I can get this part? Strange that the parts are different than other ones I bought in the same lot of 8 also marked challenger VI. I had to switch some lids around to get the missing ones to fit on a keg and seal as well, strange, I thought all the non-racetrack lids are the same, I have new gaskets on all of them.

Is it this one? http://www.williamsbrewing.com/TAPERED-PLASTIC-GAS-DIP-TUBE-P2570.aspx

If I'm understanding your question, yes, that's the tapered gas tube. FYI, if you don't want to use the plastic one, you can use a shortened SS tube. You'll just need to cut it down to about 1/3" in length using a pipe cutter. That's what I did with mine, and it works fine. The plastic replacement seemed like a short-term solution to me.

I think I am in the same boat. My first few kegs had the (what I thought was a standard) gas dip tube. My latest addition had a slightly smaller diameter plastic dip tube. My LHBS only has the metal ones so I searched online. Austin Home Brew site has them listed but are sold out. Homebrewing.org looks like they have them but don't list the diameter. If I can think of anything else I need I will try one of them.

You can do that, too. I cut mine because it was easier. 'Took all of about 30 seconds. No oiling, no drilling, no cleaning up to do. The only purpose of the gas dip tube is to hold an o-ring in place, after all, and 1/3" length is plenty long enough for that.

If you look at the tapered tube, it's the same width as the metal one for about 1/2". Then it steps down. So just cut your metal dip tube so that it's just a bit shorter than that first segment, and you'll be good to go.

I know I am late to this party... but I now find myself in the same situation 1 of the 6 kegs I just bought was missing the gas dip tube... ok I ordered metal ones - I have Cornelius Corny Keg
and bought dip Tube diameter: 5/16" They are 1 3/8” long - but even if I cut it shorter.. not sure what tool I need to do that and not make a hot mess... but it won't even go in the opening a tiny bit? so I don't see how shorter would help it still won't fit...

think on amazon they only have 7/16 or 5/16 - well this apparently needs smaller what size? thanks.

That model worked perfectly on the one keg out of my 16 that uses that style skinny, plastic gas tube, with a "flat" top.
As can be seen, Matt also carries the bevel top style for kegs that need that one (I don't have any of those)...

Cheers!

Back