Keg setup for a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I have an annual "Rocktoberfest" party at my property each year, and this year I brewed an Octoberfest Marzen for this party. It has been sitting in a 5 gallon corney keg and I plan to dispense it from the keg. I purchased a picnic tap and those small CO2 dispensers you get the cartridges for. My quandry is how to keep the keg cold. I thought of a 30 gallon trash can but for one 5 gallon keg I would go through 100+ lbs. of ice to fill that up. Looking for a cheap solution that wount take a ton of ice, and is "semi"-insulated so the ice won't melt too fast.

Tried searching but could not seem to find the correct combination to search for so I appologize if this is a common question.

Sit the keg in a bucket of ice. Wrap the exposed part of the keg in foam insulation, those camping sleeping pads work good.

On top of the keg, put a gallon ziplock. Put your coiled up beer line in the ziplock and keep it full of ice. Ghetto Jockey Box!

:mug:

Or just build or buy a jockey box. If this is an annual event, it sounds like you'll run into the same issue every year. You should be able to build a box for about $50.00 with a cobra tap.

Buy a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. It will hold a 3 gallon keg with the lid on. For the 5 gallon keg, just leave the lid off. It will hold more than enough ice to keep the beer cold as the beer will be drawn from the bottom of the keg.

Here is a picture of one with a 3 gallon keg in place along with the co² canister. Plenty of room for ice.

DSC00776s.JPG

Cpt_Kirks - nice idea

ozzy1038 - sorry for the ignorance - but what is a jocky box (I ASSume it is just a hand built insulated box).

P-J - that is one sweet setup. I am looking for something similar but for a 5 gallon keg as I usually have 50+ guests. I will supplement with store bought beer, but if the homebrew goes over well, I will probably have 10 or 15 gallons next year.

This is a jockey box. They are costly to buy, but like most things, can be built for quite a bit less. Of course you pick the size you like or need.
jockeyBox.jpg

mine with a cold plate instead of coils... 2 bags of ice lasted from 4pm to 9am in 90 degree temps

ozzy1038 said:
That looks interesting, but I wonder how long it really lasts. 24hours seems like a long time. I'm sure it would be substantially less based upon ambient temperature.

Yeah 24 hours does seem like a long time. I'd imagine it should be good for 5-6.

Another idea is building a trashcan kegerator with insolution and room to expand. I love mine. 40 pounds of ice keeps kegs cold. Start with a cold keg

Latest posts

Back