Keg Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomzUp

Reaction score
I only brew about 2-2.5 gallons at a time and was wondering if it would be worth getting a Ball/pin lock 5 gallon keg for my batches.? Please any advice or anyone out there that does this let me know please! Thanks!

I love kegging. Much faster, and if I really want bottles I can bottle from the keg. There would be no issues only putting 2-2.5 gals in the keg. You should be purging with co2 anyway so oxidation should not be an issue. It is a significant investment though. You are looking at an investment that can range from ~150-200 (IIRC mine was 160, bare bones tank, regulator, lines, and one keg). Only you can answer the "is it worth it" question. Big time saver, beer on tap all the time, big initial capital investment.

I love kegging. Bottling is a PIA!! Only trouble with kegging is the beer seems to disappear faster lol. As the PP said you'll be fine putting a 2.5 gallon batch in a 5g keg since you always purge the keg with CO2.

Like said above, only you can know if it's worth it. Personally, I couldn't go back now that I keg. Bottling day turned into kegging half hour and I love being able to grab a taste instead of having to open a whole bottle.

Like said above, only you can know if it's worth it. Personally, I couldn't go back now that I keg. Bottling day turned into kegging half hour and I love being able to grab a taste instead of having to open a whole bottle.

Although you can't argue against the convenience of kegs and I will be getting a couple myself, I was able to bottle two 23L batches in under an hr. The bottles were soaked and pre sterilized before hand which wasn't that big of a pain since I have a nice size washtub. I think as I get more brew experience this will become more of a pain but right now, it's kinda fun.

G

Thanks for all the replies. I have been thinking about going with a Keg and all the responses have made me feel good about going that way. I just also like the feel of being able to go to the fridge and get a pull off your own keg :) Now I just have to decide what kind to get (Ball Lock Vs Pin Lock). There are no litte home brew stores close to me where I live so everything will be ordered off the internet.

Thanks once again for the replies!

BottomzUp!

i'd recommend ball locks. do shop around for used cornies, they're a lot cheaper. also, i know my LHBS has smaller ball locks (3 gal maybe), i think they're only available new, but it might be something to look into. i've been thinking about a smaller keg for my smaller batches, but a 5 gal keg is fine for a 2.5 gal batch.

Ya I have noticed they make smaller kegs when I was looking online. Thanks for the heads up. The only reason I would not go with them is the price and if I ever start brewing bigger batches don't want to limit myself and have to buy a different keg.

I have been looking at the two (ball v pin) and one feature I like (correct me if I'm wrong) is the CO2 release valve on the ball lock. It looks like the pin lock is a different release valve. Any input is greatly appreciated.

BottomzUp!

As far as ball lock vs pin lock goes, there's no compelling reason to go with one over the other. I have some of both, and while the manual blow-off valve on the lid of the ball locks is nice, I don't think it's worth spending an extra $15-20/keg at the going rates. Plus, if you buy the couplers with the flare fittings and plumb your system accordingly, you can easily swap back and forth when needed.

For that volume you may want to look in to the Tap A Draft system or one of the Miller/Coors Party Kegs. Two of those and some 16G CO2 Carts would have you ready to go for a batch. There is even an adapter sold on eBay that will allow you to hook up a regular CO2 Reg/Tank to these.

I actually looked into the Tap A Draft system. And the only thing about that system is that you still have to carbonate using sugar, and that would be one reason I would be going to Kegging over bottling is so I dont have to mess with that part.

Thanks for the heads up and suggestions.

BottomzUp!

BottomzUp said:
I actually looked into the Tap A Draft system. And the only thing about that system is that you still have to carbonate using sugar, and that would be one reason I would be going to Kegging over bottling is so I dont have to mess with that part.

Thanks for the heads up and suggestions.

BottomzUp!

If you're willing to use 2 16g cartridges (if using a miller or coors homedraft system) or 4 8g (using the tap a draft), you can force carb them

Not entirely true, using that adapter on ebay you can force carb. I've also force carb'd with the 16G CO2 carts. What I do now is brew 6 gallon batches, I keg 5 and siphon the rest to a TAD bottle. I fit a 3L soda cap with a tire valve stem in to that and hook the air chuck up to my CO2 tank and force carb that bit in the TAD bottle. It takes all of 5 minutes and I hook it right up to the TAD tap and pull a pint.

wyzazz said:
Not entirely true, using that adapter on ebay you can force carb. I've also force carb'd with the 16G CO2 carts. What I do now is brew 6 gallon batches, I keg 5 and siphon the rest to a TAD bottle. I fit a 3L soda cap with a tire valve stem in to that and hook the air chuck up to my CO2 tank and force carb that bit in the TAD bottle. It takes all of 5 minutes and I hook it right up to the TAD tap and pull a pint.

I quit using mine when I got real kegs. But I never used priming sugar on the portion of the beer going into the TAD, always force carbed, out of convenience since I had a ton of co2 cartridges in both 16 and 8 grams. Usually took 2 8g to force carb and 2 to serve, 1 16 to carb and 1 to serve (for the homedraft system)

Back