keg priming question, i need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kcarrier513

Reaction score
So I am new to this site and have a question. I have a brown ale that I want to serve at 2.3 volumes of carbonation. I did a primary fermentation a secondary fermentation, then aged the beer for 4 more weeks at 35 deg. everything is good. I gradually warmed it up to my fridge temp of 40 deg. let it sit for a few days and kegged. One keg will be force carbonated at 10.10 regulator setting and 40 degrees. the other keg I want to serve off of my beer engine as a "real ale" with natural carbonation. I usually put in 5 oz weight of corn sugar when priming bottle beer and know to cut this in half for kegging so I put in 2.50 ounces in the keg added the beer, used 5 PSI to seat the O-rings. and placed it in the corner at room temp of 70 degrees. All that said my concern is when I check charts it says I should have used about 4 ouces corn sugar for beer that is 70 degrees. does setting the keg in the room after adding priming sugar change how much i should have added it was 40 deg when primed. or should I place it back in the fridge at 40 degrees or leave it alone at 70????

It is better to under carb then over carb IMO. Since your kegging even if your carb levels are too low you can always bump it up using forced carbonation. I would leave it at 70 deg. My pumpkin pie ale is about to be transferred to a keg then naturally carbed using a spunding valve.

When you use a priming calculator, the current beer temperature isn't important. Cold fermentations "hold" more co2 in them. If you ferment at 68 degrees, that's the temperature to use whether the beers been cold crashed or not.

In short, 2.5 ounces at 70 degrees is fine!

Back